Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

ofuro tubs? 2010/8/9 09:16
do they change the water in ofuro tubs at bath house.
if you have ur own ofuro tub at home are you supposed to change the water if so how offten?
by arishia (guest)  

... 2010/8/9 10:34
do they change the water in ofuro tubs at bath house.
Yes, I believe they do (I don't know how often) in addition to filtering and circulation.

if you have ur own ofuro tub at home are you supposed to change the water if so how offten?
When I used to live with my parents, I know my mother changed the bathwater daily, as it was a family of four, and now it's just me and my spouse, we might use the bathwater for two consecutive evenings (heat it up with additional hot water on the second day).
by AK rate this post as useful

Unitilizing Water 2010/8/9 11:52
I agree with AK. There are also tools to vacume the tub water into your waching machine for utilization. I use that, and then I water my plants with the rest of the water in the tub, and when that is all gone, I wash the tub and fill in new water.

Traditionally, the most honered member of the family, typically the oldest, got to be the first person to use the fresh water in the tub. But nowadays science has proved that the first water is not as good for your health as the second or third etc.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/8/9 12:36
Most reheated onsen/sento water is changed once a week or so when they have the scheduled closing day. This is mainly due to the high heating cost. So if you want fresh water, go right after that day, otherwise you will be soaking in the water hundreds of people have gone through.
I usually go to the once through water onsen that the incoming geothermal water is hot enough that does not require reheating and mixed with cold fresh water only. This way I know the onsen water is continuously flashed by fresh water.
At home the water is changed daily or so. The gray water is used for laundry washing and rinsed w/ fresh cold water.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

interesting 2010/8/9 15:38
But nowadays science has proved that the first water is not as good for your health as the second or third etc.

That's interesting, could you elaborate? Is it something to do with temperature, or chemicals like chlorine that evaporate out of the water with time?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Why the first bath should be avoided 2010/8/10 09:18
yllwsmrf,

Well, I'm not a scientist and I keep forgetting what I learned. But a quick internet check on keywords like "一番風呂 体に悪い" will answer your questions.

One of the websites from the search tells us this; Unlike onsen, plain water freshly heated has only few minerals included and therefore the way the heat will be absorbed to the body will be too strong, and due to the pressure minerals from the skin will be taken away by the water. This may make you more tired and your blood pressure higher. Also, in winter, the bathing room may not be warm enough upon the first bath. Dipping in hot water in a cold room may be too harsh especially for the elders.

Another website tells us that chlorine is too strong in the first bath and therefore may age your skin.

To avoid these, you can use bath salts or put in tangerin skins or pieces of wood, the sites say. But of course, you can't put in stuff by yourself in a public bath!

http://www.spaworld.co.jp/tisiki5.html
http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q147949074
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

ofuro 2010/8/10 09:55
I see, that's kinda what I expected. Thanks for the info.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread