Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

I want to go to a Japanese college 2010/8/10 08:26
Ok so,
I live in America, Im Japanese, and 16.
I can speak Japanese as well as any native tho my writing is a bit questionable, especially with kanji.
Ive lived in America ever since i was born
but I go to Japan every summer for about a month
and I love it there.
Thus, I wanna go to a Japanese college and it would be very helpful for me considering the occupation i want to have.
Sooooo I have a few questions regarding that.

Would some Japanese schools accept entrance with my scores from high school, ACT, or SAT or would I just have to take an entrance exam?and if so which schools?

Would i be able to keep up with their curriculum considering that i only have American education or even pass the entrance exam?

How expensive is it monetary-wise?

Are there any scholarship programs?

and if not how should i convince my parents bc i could probably get a scholarship here...but i live in freakin Alabama which has like zero japanese population so id rather not lol?

and yeaaah thats about it, thanks for just readin bc this is pretty long...i think. and itll be cool if someone could respond
by kfuji5  

So... 2010/8/10 11:36
You have 2 options.
1) A university in Japan with an English curriculum. Waseda SILS, Meiji University, TUJ, ICU, APU, and Sophia are located in Japan. You don't need the EJU (Entrance to Japanese University) for all but Meiji, I believe (double check that). TUJ is the Japanese branch of Temple University.
2) Take the EJU and enroll at a Japanese university with Japanese courses. Most Japanese universities require this (except those mentioned above). Some accept the JLPT1 instead of the EJU, but not many.

Money wise... TUJ is about the same as a private school in America ($30,000). Although it depends on your lifestyle. There are many scholarships such as the Monbukagakusho Scholarship which is sponsored by the Japanese government. There are also a lot of scholarships created by the university, so you should check with each individual school. APU seems to have a full ride scholarship available... along with 80%, 50%, etc... :)

Good luck!
I'm 15 y/o and interested in studying in Japan too.
by Kira (guest) rate this post as useful

Slow down, really think things through. 2010/8/10 13:53

I know this probably isn't what you want to hear, but my advice for you is to go ahead and stay in the States for college, and then go to Japan after you graduate. Not only do the semesters not line up (you'd be graduating from HS in May or June, I suppose?) the transition from HS to college is already big enough; no need to make it harder on yourself by having to adapt to life in Japan. Visiting Japan during the summer and doing taiken-nyuugaku is completely different from actually living in Japan.

Right now, I'm a senior at a college in Texas, but when I was around 16, I felt the same way you did. Until I went into college, I too visited Japan almost every year and fell in love with (and still love) Japan. I've been trying to hold on to my linguistic and writing skills by hanging out with other Japanese as much as time will allow.

All that aside, you'll still have plenty of opportunities to go Japan once you graduate from college. Provided you go to a respectable, accredited university, most Japanese employers will likely not care whether you attended a Japanese school or not as much as the kind of skills/knowledge you bring to their company. Unless you want to have a career that has something to do with Japanese culture or requires Japan-specific certifications (such as medicine), many US colleges will provide educational quality that is on par with (or exceeds) Japanese universities.

Also, in addition to what all I've written above, think about some of the things you'd need to do in order to go to college in Japan as an actual (i.e. non-exchange) student:
- Take the entrance exams of the colleges you'd like to apply
- Find a dorm/apartment to live in during your college career
- Find a part-time job, student loan (or if really lucky, a full-ride scholarship) to pay for said dorm/apartment and accompanying bills, unless your parents are willing to pay everything
- (Most likely) improve your kanji-comprehension skills.
- Find a way to pay for a plane-ticket back to the US to see family/friends, etc.

And then you'd want to think about the what-ifs such as:
- Am I prepared/willing to stay in Japan for however long it takes to get my degree, including the possibility of having to stay longer than anticipated should I decide to change my major? (I've heard that 60% of college kids in the US change their major at least once, and I too have changed my major from freshman year)
- Am I okay with staying in Japan in the event that some emergency happens within my family in the States?

Sorry this post turned out to be pretty long, but as I've said earlier, it'd probably just make more sense to stay in the States for college. I know that the thought of having to stay in the US for another 5-6 years seems painful, and that moving to Japan might seem like the path you want to take for your life, but you'll be able to determine whether or not you'd want to live in Japan much more clearly once you graduate college.

Side Note: Don't be so quick to count out the Japanese population in the South; there are a lot more Japanese than you'd think. One of the native Japanese guys (born & raised in Japan) I hang out with got his undergrad at the University of Alabama.
by gh6 (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks!!! 2010/8/12 11:03
Both posts were really useful and it got me thinking about things which I never really thought about before. It was helpful, and i really appreciate you guys for responding...Thankyou!!!! :)
by kfuji5 rate this post as useful

Hi 2011/9/5 15:14
So I'm seeing this thread a year later and I just wanted to know where you ended up going?
I'm planning on going to Keio/Jochi university if i get good SAT and TOEFL scores:)
by lessthan3japan rate this post as useful

@gh6 2011/9/5 23:11
International students who come to study in the US have to do the same thing (all the above tasks while adapting to US culture) I don't see why one shouldn't try the same in Japan.

I am not denying the fact it is difficult, and it definitely helps to have lived in Japan for an extended period of time (1 month is cool, but at least 6 months is ideal so you get an idea of what culture shock is like). Although it most certainly is feasible if you make the effort.

Getting a degree from a Japanese university is beneficial usually if you are intending to try and live in Japan on a more indefinite basis. If you are to work somewhere other than Japan, it may be a bit less helpful. Although in Japan, you get the added benefit of connections, expanded opportunities to apply for jobs other than being an "English Teacher", and an immersive environment to ensure your Japanese language abilities are top-notch.
by DenshiDude rate this post as useful

reply to this thread