Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Big spiders in Harajuku? 2010/8/13 11:18
I plan on taking a vacation in Harajuku, Tokyo and I've heard about Japan having huge spiders. Those things scare me straight. I'm so afraid of spiders that even looking at them on the computer freaks me out! O.O

Are there big spiders in Harajuku?
by Noiz  

... 2010/8/13 12:08
Harajuku is right in the middle of Tokyo, so would not worry.
by AK rate this post as useful

spiders 2010/8/13 13:06
I didn't see those big spiders until I moved well out into the suburbs. Take some deep breaths and enjoy your trip- you won't find spiders in central Tokyo unless you are really looking for them.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

.... 2010/8/14 03:53
You will see them in all the parks though, but they'll just hang there between the trees and bushes so it's nothing to worry about. ;)
by Olve rate this post as useful

seasonal 2010/8/14 09:00
Also they are only around at certain times of the year. Late summer to the end of autumn is usually the only time you will see big spiders, but not in Harajuku!

OK so where? 2010/8/14 16:25
Late summer to the end of autumn is usually the only time you will see big spiders

I'm with the OP: scared witless...and more.....

Will be going to the following in November:
suburbs (20 mins or so west of Shinjuku)/ parks and gardens/ Nikko, Kaamakura, Kanazawa/Kansai

Need warning ....Thanks!!!
by fmj rate this post as useful

Spiders? Where? 2010/8/14 22:32
I have done extensive travelling throughout Japan and have never been bothered with this.
More urban legend ;-)
Go to Australia, South America and you will be able to meet "real spiders"
by iwander rate this post as useful

Spiders! 2010/8/15 05:38
While I was in Tokyo, I only saw 2 spiders during my entire time there (4 months). They were both pretty small.

Don't worry about it too much. Tokyo has so much going on you probably wouldn't notice a spider, even if it were right next to you. lol
by brotherknowledge rate this post as useful

Not that big a deal... 2010/8/15 07:47
Seriously, you are really unlikely to see them. By November they will mostly be gone anyway. If you do see them, walk away from them- they won't chase you. Also, unlike spiders in Australia, they cannot kill you- nothing to worry about. Like I said before, take some deep breaths and enjoy your trips :-)

Thanks!! 2010/8/15 08:11
Thanks all: know all about big spiders here is Australia: that's the cause of my arachnaphobia!! so will do as Sira suggests and relax....gulp...
by fmj rate this post as useful

reply to this thread