Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Too much / too little 2010/8/15 01:08
Can someone help me with "sugimasu"?

If I want to say "it's too much", I'd say "oi sugimasu". What about "if you eat too much"? ___ tabetara ...

Would it be something like "Oi sugite tabetara ..." ? Or "oi tabesugitara"? (I just made that up)

And, is there a compliment to sugiru for "too little / too few"?

Final exam: Please help me with "naru" with a verb. What about"If you eat too much, you'll become fat". ___ tabetara, futote ru ni narimasu. ?? Do I use "ni" with a verb like that?

Thanks!

- Dudley
by Shimada Jiei  

re: 2010/8/15 19:24
im not advanced in japanese (since i still consider myself newbie). that being said, there may be other people tha can provide more detail or better then me..

if you want to say "if you want eat too much, ____", i think you can go with "moshimo (anata wa) sugite tabetara OR tabesugitara ga _____.".

for the "moshimo" for "if", i think you can use "nara" or "naraba" too since it means "if, in case". but it will be like "sugite tabetara naraba ___."

for if you eat too much, i'll try "moshimo (anata wa) sugite tabetara ga futoi ni narimasu".
the "ni" can be replaced by "ku" (according to http://nihongo.anthonet.com/ku-narimasu/) although im not sure if "futoku narimasu" is the same as "become fat" since i replaced the "i" with "ku".

hope i helped :D
by AssassinWarrior rate this post as useful

... 2010/8/15 20:59
If I want to say "it's too much", I'd say "oi sugimasu".
I is "oo sugimasu." You take the root of the adjective (take away the last "i" if it's an i-adjective) and add "sugimasu."

What about "if you eat too much"? ___ tabetara ...
No. "eat too much," "overeat" has a verb on its own, which is "tabesugimasu/tabesugiru."
"If you eat too much..." would be "moshi tabesugitara..."

And, is there a compliment to sugiru for "too little / too few"?
"a little/a few (in amounts)" is "sukunai," so "sukunasugimasu" is "it's too little/few."

Final exam: Please help me with "naru" with a verb. What about"If you eat too much, you'll become fat". ___ tabetara, futote ru ni narimasu. ?? Do I use "ni" with a verb like that?

"To become fat" is a verb on its own, which is "futorimasu."
"To become thin" is "yasemasu."
by AK rate this post as useful

.. 2010/8/15 22:50
AK, i was half correct right?

... 2010/8/15 23:19
AssassinWarrior,

You had one word "tabesugitara" (if/when you overeat) right :)
by AK rate this post as useful

re: 2010/8/16 01:31
haha thanks :D

reply to this thread