Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Renting portable aircon in Tokyo? 2010/8/18 08:17
I don't have aircon at my place - I don't need it, but I have a friend coming to stay who has a small baby & toddler. I am a bit worried they won't be able to sleep at night for the heat. I have fans, but they are not used to this kind of heat.
Is there somewhere that rents aircon for a couple of days?
I am in the north of Tokyo so somewhere that is near Akabane, Kawaguchi, Ikebukuro would be ideal.

by girltokyo  

... 2010/8/18 10:06
As regular air-conditioning units need to be installed on the wall (with an outdoor unit set up on the balcony), rental service companies tend to provide rather long-term (yearly or quarterly at least) rental to landlords/apartment owners or offices, not on a daily/weekly basis to tenants.

I've seen industrial units, for example this one, but this website says they have no unit available during August. (Other service companies run out of their stock in July.) This type is more really for cooling a limited space in a factory or some such application:
http://www.tanix.co.jp/rental/rental_02.php

You might want to prepare with a back-up plan, such as putting up your friend in a hotel nearby.
by AK rate this post as useful

spot coolers 2010/8/18 11:24
I found a bunch of places that rent portable air conditioners around Tokyo. The going rate seems to be about 15000 for a 3 day rental plus 3000 yen per additional day, or 30,000 yen for the week. I've also seen them on sale at my local home center and online for 30000-40000, so it may be more economical to buy depending on how long you need it for.

Check out the results google gave me to find a rental place convenient for your location:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1B3GGGL_enJP237JP237&q...
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

... 2010/8/18 11:42
yllwsmrf,

It's the same type of "cooler" I was referring to, the industrial application type. This type sucks in air and spits out the hot air again from the duct in the back, so may not be too good for residential use. And on one question forum someone from a rental company like this was giving the answer that they tend to sell out (or rent out) for the whole summer already in July for factory and exhibit/event uses that they often are without any unit in stcok.
by AK rate this post as useful

spot coolers 2010/8/18 13:12
Yes, I'm aware. My neighbor has one and it does a decent job cooling a small room, although its not really designed to. To be effective you have to set it up so that the hot air exhaust doesn't vent into the room you are trying to cool. How you do that depends on the type of spot cooler.

Really it seems to be the only reasonable option if the OP absolutely needs AC on a budget. Some of the websites I looked at seemed to have it in stock, and I saw one for as low as 8500 yen for 3 days. You're gonna have to contact the rental companies find out the details and if they even have them in stock.

Please note though that these are pretty big and heavy, so it may not be an option if you live in a building without an elevator. Another drawback is that they are relatively loud compared to a fan or wall mounted AC. Also some of the rental companies may not provide delivery. Personally I think fans or mister fans would be a better option, as long as you don't believe the old wives tale that sleeping with a fan on will kill you ;)
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Thanks 2010/8/18 20:34
Thanks very much for your help.
I'm on the top floor with no elevator so if they're big that's probably not ideal.

Fans with wet clothes in front of them might be the best option - stay out as long as possible, cool bath and get them asleep in front of the fans before they realise that they are actually staying in a cheaply built furnace that didn't utilise insulation.

Much appreciated

by girltokyo rate this post as useful

reply to this thread