Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

studying overseas with tattoos 2010/8/20 18:22
i'm 17, male, singaporean. going to tokyo university for studies next year.
i love body art & tattoos & piercings.
i'm heavily tattooed, with yakuza style tattoos all over my body. eg. calf arms chest ribs and back and neck. i'm a peace loving guy and was afraid that i would get into trouble with japanese yakuza or gangsters. can anyone tell me if i would be shunned? or aimed by police? or anything like that in japan?

all advice about tattoos would be gladly accepted! thanks!
by tristangoh  

.. 2010/8/21 08:29
You probably will not be a popular man among Japanese girls from good (high social status) family.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

awww 2010/8/21 13:06
haha, thats alright i guess. :) just wanna go there and study and have fun. not planning on any relationships. thanks!
by tristangoh rate this post as useful

haha 2010/8/22 07:21
you'd prolly scare the hell outta me though :P
by Jei89 rate this post as useful

awww... 2010/8/22 14:43
but i'm a very friendly guy. :) and i love to learn about japanese culture and art.

Yakuzazz 2010/8/23 02:26
may not understand you sir :)
by Module (guest) rate this post as useful

body art 2010/8/23 05:23
Unless you walk around 1/2 naked who is going to know that you have tats? cover up and you will be fine..
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

problem with boring day to day stuff 2010/8/23 17:52
I don't think you would get into trouble with yakuza and gangsters unless you were looking for trouble. More likely you would have problem with boring day to day stuff like renting a house, using an onsen, getting a credit card etc etc (Japan has a lot of discrimination that is hard to understand). Some younger Japanese are a bit more open minded and will not make assumptions about your character based on your tattoos or piercings, you may even find some like minded enthusiasts around Harajuku or elsewhere around Tokyo. I hope you will be made to feel welcome.
by gilesdesign (guest) rate this post as useful

thanks everyone 2010/8/23 22:13
thanks for all your help! :)
@red frog my tattoo is on my neck. i dont think its possible to cover up unless i wear a scarf all the time.
@gilesdesign thanks for all your ideas and advice, greatly appreciated.

reply to this thread