Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

18 year old moving to Tokyo 2010/8/21 12:51
Hi, Im a 17 year old student at highschool and will be greaduating this year. I am half Japanese and half Italian and speak pretty good Japanese but not picture perfect as i have lived in an English speaking country most my life. However I have been to Tokyo many times to visit my family.
At first i was going to do one year of university at one of the best uni's in my area but i am starting to think it might be best to move to Tokyo because i love the city so much.
The only issue is that i will have to find a part time job to work around my unversity over there.
I am currently applying for a Japanese passport and should have it by the time i move over.
I have heard many stories about getting paid alot of money for teaching english in Japan but i dont have any qualifications.

If any one has any Ideas or suggestions of finding a part time job as a 17/18 year old student in Tokyo that would be great :) thank you!
by LIli (guest)  

Japan 2010/8/21 17:52
You don't really get much money teaching English, especially part-time, and at 18 years old and with no qualifications (majority of companies want a BA), your odds of getting a teaching job are very low. You could theoretically advertise in magazines like Metro and on free websites, but I doubt many people will want to learn from an 18 year old, since most private lesson language learners are people in their late 20s to early 30s looking for a relationship with a foreign person.

Your best bet is trying out Conbinis or Supermarkets. The pay is pathetic, but without qualifications it's probably the best you can get.

Please bear in mind, the Japanese job market is in a horrendous state at the moment, so moving there without a job already secured or some sort of long-term plan is not recommended. If I were you I'd study in the US and do a degree that has a year in Japan. Once you have the degree, you'll be able to move to Japan much more easily. You may also find that as you grow up and mature as a person, you may change your priorities in life.
by Doooo (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread