Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

College in Japan 2010/8/22 15:57
Hi, everyone~
I know this is a common theme, but even so I would like to ask for other persons point of view. I'm Mexican, and right now I'm starting as freshmen in high school, and last week I was talking with a friend about what I was planning into doing once I start college. Well, my answer was that I was planning into assisting college in Japan. Funny, isn't it? -sigh- My question is, is there any university in Japan with the career of robotic based in medicine?
That's what I'm really willing to study, but I have that doubt. Also, I'll not say that I have very good English nor Japanese, 'cause I've already said that I'm Mexican, but still I'm planning in study hard until I'm able to read a whole book (or story also) in Japanese writing. Another thing. If there were a college with the career that I want to go through, which one will it be (name of the collage)? I know that there is plenty of time for me to finish high school, but I want to start planning my life and stuff. So~if you are kind, can you please answer my question?
(Sorry if I got plenty of spelling/grammatical English mistakes! y'know! I'm still learning the language ^^)
by damedame  

Career in Engineering or Medicine? 2010/8/22 23:46
How commendable. Very wise to plan ahead. I wish you my best.

I'm somewhat confused. Career in the medical robotic surgery or in the field of robotic engineering specializing in medical equipments?

Look to USA - MIT or CALTECH, Japan university is not for you. Better yet get admitted to the University of Mexico and get your Master in Electrical Engineering or become an Medical Surgeon before thinking about Japan at all. After all to get admitted to the university in Japan would be impossible for a person that is not literate in the Japan language.

I do not question your talent to learn Japanese, but you must (not in next several years) have mastered Japanese language in order to take the entrance exams. Lets be realistic!

I'm the Assistant Director, Stanford University School of Medicine.
by stanfordgal rate this post as useful

Options 2010/8/23 15:03
Do not be discouraged, there are ways that you can achieve what you want to study in Japan. First research. Research all universities within Japan that have medical schools (a simple google search can do this). I am not sure if there are bilingual universities in Japan that have courses in Spanish and Japanese, but there are schools that are in all English or teach in both English and Japanese. However the majority of their majors are business or international relations related. Look into the MEXT (Monbukagakusho) Scholarship. If granted this scholarship, it pays for all of your schooling in Japan including a year of prep school to learn the language and prepare for university exams. That would be a great way to get into a college that specializes in medicine in Japan. However the chances of receiving that scholarship is low. The best option you have is to research colleges (most have English language versions of their website) and try to become near-fluent in Japanese. It is not impossible. One man managed to become fluent in only 18 months. He has a blog site with great information on how he did it www.alljapaneseallthetime.com
Good luck! Message me if you have any questions about learning Japanese.
by thedude45 rate this post as useful

not necessarily true 2010/8/23 19:16
After all to get admitted to the university in Japan would be impossible for a person that is not literate in the Japan language.

This is not necessarily true, it depends on the course.

If stanfordgal managed to become an Assistant Director at Stanford with a seemingly poor grasp of English who knows what you can achieve. Study hard and go for it!

You Need The Reality Check! by stanfordgal
"It's not her that need a reality check"
"she likely have more money in saving then you!"
by gilesdesign (guest) rate this post as useful

Good idea but.... 2010/8/24 04:21

I admire your determination and foresight, but I don't think there's any college in Japan that offers a major in "robotics-based medicine" or anything of the sort.

You're talking about combining two very different fields (robotics/AI and medicine) into one discipline. Normally, projects such as these are done over the course of a couple of semesters and involve a multi-disciplinary team of students working together; some guys on the team will be AI experts, while others will know the medicine side of the project.

How do I know this? I'm a senior at an engineering college, and last semester, I did something similar to what you'd like to do. Our project involved designing a device that allowed patients that were unable to speak or write to communicate to others via said device. While I was able to get the basic idea of what the problem was in medicine terms, I had to rely on the med students to break down any specifics so that I could code the AI of the device effectively. Likewise, the med students knew what they wanted the device to do, but I had to explain to them how to use the AI on the device so that they could use it effectively.

What I'd recommend you to do is to enroll in your choice of Japanese college as a computer scientist (Tsukuba is very famous for its computer science department) and look for opportunities within the university or its sister schools to work with med students. Also, you'll want to make sure your Japanese is top-notch (hopefully JLPT 1 if possible) when you enroll; communication is key in these teams and you (or the patients that use your robot) don't want to be the victim of a poorly-made robot due to communication problems.
by gh6 (guest) rate this post as useful

Me to~ 2010/8/24 06:40
Im mexican as well :D but im a junior in high school and I speak Japanese fairly well.
You are a bit behind. you should take the proficiency exam level 4 and work your but off.
or apply for MEXT.

by Haruka Yuunagi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread