Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Gaijin Houses in Chiyoda-ku 2010/8/25 13:13
Hi, I will be moving to Tokyo April 2011 and I am looking for some gaijin houses in the Chiyoda-ku area. It needs to be for two people (unisex/one bed) and have an ac unit. I plan to stay for 11 months. (for now) I'm hoping to find a furnished place, but any suggestions are great. So far everything seems to be pretty pricey (that's to be expected) but there's got to be some hidden good priced ones somewhere! Space is not really an issue and as long as there aren't roaches it doesn't need to be really nice either. Also, if you can add in whether you need a cosigner it'd be great!

Thank you for your help!
by Decorachii  

chiyoda 2010/8/26 08:33
unlikely you will find cheap guest houses in chiyoda ku. try looking in the area of chiyoda close to nishi nippori but even there i don't think you will find anything. chiyoda is the least densely populated area in tokyo when it comes to residential area, it's basically strictly a business district.

by winterwolf (guest) rate this post as useful

Why only Chiyoda-ku? 2010/8/26 10:07
winterwolf is correct- half of Chiyoda-ku is actually taken up by the Imperial Palace and the government buildings, and the rest of it is largely commercial. Only really wealthy people can afford to live there, so if you have found guest houses there at all, you probably won't find anything cheaper. Does it have to be Chiyoda-ku? Such a tiny area to limit yourself to, when getting around Tokyo is so easy.

Chuo-ku (which contains Ginza) is right next door, but actually has some residential areas and at least a few guest houses.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/8/27 00:03
I stayed at this hotel near Ueno Station:
http://www.tokyo-weekly-hotel.com/
Ueno is 8 min. from Tokyo Station.
or Iriya Station- 20 min.from Hibiya Station, Yurakutyo Station.
by kmt (guest) rate this post as useful

actually... 2010/8/28 12:23
It doesn't have to be in Chiyoda-ku. To be honest, I haven't been so successful in researching Tokyo, so I am not so sure what the distance is like. I'm confused as to what is a city, what is a district and what it what! I'm really clueless about a lot of that stuff which is why I need help ^^;;
by Decorachii rate this post as useful

more info needed 2010/8/28 13:31
Tell us what you will be doing in Japan. Will you be attending classes/working in Chiyoda ku? If so, do you mind say a 30 minute commute, and what's your budget for accommodation? Then we can give you some ideas on where you could look.

oops... 2010/8/29 01:18
Sorry about that. I will be attending a school in Chiyoda-ku. I don't mind thirty minutes, and I can only go probably up to 800 a month. Another problem I have been facing is that in Japan, they charge for extra people instead of letting a couple split the rent.
by Decorachii rate this post as useful

no gaijin houses 2010/8/29 02:29
don't live in a gaijin house
they're usually gross. and maybe it's just my image but most of the people i've met who are living in gaijin houses have been really weird or had bad habits.

try to find an apartment that is meant for students. contact your school and ask them about student apartments that they recommend. as i mentioned nishi nippori is close to chiyoda and nishi nippori also has the chiyoda metro line, and yamanote and keihin tohoku lines running through it.
by winterwolf (guest) rate this post as useful

rent 2010/8/29 07:54
What is 800 a month? 800 US dollars? So about 70,000 yen a month? Chiyoda-ku is probably a bit on the pricey side for you then.

Have a look at apartment rentals like Sakura House or Tokyo Apartment. Also Kimi Information Center's apartment list.

It's standard for guest houses to charge more for an extra person, I doubt you'll find one that doesn't.

Actual apartments don't charge more per person, but then they tend to have higher deposits, and possible even key money and agency fees on top of that.

reply to this thread