Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Student Visa to Working Visa 2010/8/28 01:39
I studied in Japan for almost 2 years for my graduate studies and I returned back here in Philippines last July. I currently hold an ARC and a student visa valid until Sept 9, 2010. Last week, I had an online interview with an employer in Japan but I am afraid that my visa status will be an issue since I don't have a working visa. My questions are:

1. Is it possible to enter Japan (I have a multiple entry permit) a few days before the expiration of my student visa then subsequently obtain a working visa from there in Japan? I am asking this option since this is the fastest way to start working with my prospective employer.

2. If option 1 above is not possible, what are the options left for me? Should I ask the employer for a Certificate of Eligibility? But I am afraid that this will be inconvenient for the employer since they prefer applicants who are already settled in Japan. In case they do provide a Certificate of Eligibility, how long will it take for me to obtain my working visa?

I really prefer option 1 if it's possible since I can relocate to Tokyo anytime at my own cost. But I want to make sure that there will be no problems at the immigration office and that I am doing it legally.

Thank you very much.
by Dahlia (guest)  

... 2010/8/28 08:45
Is it possible to enter Japan (I have a multiple entry permit) a few days before the expiration of my student visa then subsequently obtain a working visa from there in Japan?

Yes, you will have to apply for a "change of status of residence" at the local immigration bureau in Japan. You will have to submit all the necessary documents for this application before the expiry of your current permission of stay. That might be difficult to accomplish. You and your potential employer will have to act very quickly.

But as soon as you have successfully submitted the applications to the immigration bureau, you will be able to stay in Japan until the results of your application will be returned to you. If they are positive, you will be able to start working. Otherwise, you will have to leave the country.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thank you 2010/8/29 23:47
Arigatou uji-san :) I will find out with my prospective employer the status of my application asap. :)
by Dahlia (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread