Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Menu ideas 2010/8/29 16:06
I hope this is not too much to ask for in a forum.... I have a toddler who keeps me on my toes, yet I have to make dinner for 3 adults, 2 of whom are Japanese, used to eating oishii tabemono, and with seasonal appetites (something I never experience myself). For instance, they can't eat winter foods like nabe in the summer. I am not a good cook and therefore, definitely not good at cooking Japanese meals. Plus, I don't know what kind of side dishes that are easy to make that match the main dish. I always mismatch the foods. They don't like vegetables much but I don't want them to NOT eat vegetables. One of them has difficulty chewing, so everything has to be soft or else it doesn't get eaten. I always tend to undercook the food because I never used to cook my own foods till they became mush, so I have a hard time evaluating how long to cook it. (Sigh) I guess this IS asking too much.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas, I guess I am looking for

1. menus (not just main dishes) since I don't seem to know how to match foods for a mealtime.
2. Perhaps a weeks worth (or at least maybe even 5 days)
3. Tasty food but easy to make (since they have gourmet taste buds, but I have a toddler and no time!)
4. As healthy as possible (since we are dealing with health issues, and they only seem to like deep fried foods, or high fat foods)
5. Inexpensive foods since we're on a tight budget.
6. Filling enough foods, not just salads (since one of them has to do hard work at his job and he gets hungry).

The only thing I know how to make is curry, but they are getting very tired of that.
They like grilled meat, but that gets expensive.

Ahhh, this is DEFINITELY too much to ask for, ha ha again and a BIG SIGHHHH.

(But still crossing my fingers for some ideas!)
by MomotaroPeachBoy  

egullet ? 2010/8/29 22:17
Are you familiar with the egullet website section on Japan. ?
There is an active forum dedicated to Japanese food & cooking - most members are based in Japan.
by girltokyo (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread