Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Theft towards non-citizens 2010/8/30 13:17
Hello all,

I've been a long time reader of various things on this site since I discovered it about 6 months ago and have been surprised with how useful and logical responses can be.

My question being; has anyone heard of thefts in Japan targeted towards non-citizens or Americans?

The only reason I ask is because I am pursuing a degree in the Japanese Language and Culture, and my step-mother mentioned that if I were to ever live there, she heard from a "friend" that some Japanese people would steal from outsiders than from their own, so to speak.

Now, I don't believe in this "piece of information", but since I was telling her how much bull that most likely is, I would like to know if it has ever actually happened as a one time thing here and there throughout decades and she is making generalizations.

Also, I'm not sure if it was ever specified that it happens to tourists and they just so happened to be American.

Any feedback or opinions would be appreciated. Thank you all for your time.
by Redhound  

Theft? 2010/8/30 16:39
Redhound,

I have never experienced or heard anything to suggest that foreigners (either tourists or residents) are especially targeted in Japan, so I suggest you feel free to ignore that piece of "helpful information". Unlocked bicycles and umbrellas seem to be considered fair game here, but in general, petty theft is less common in Japan than in most developed countries, so it is not something you really need to be overly concerned about. Personally, I would say it ranks well below things like earthquakes, typhoons, and cockroaches.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

foreign targeted for credit card fraud 2010/8/30 17:02
I think attributing crimes by nationality or race is meaningless and counterproductive. If you do it then by expectation alone you limit the opportunities of certain groups and they will begin to fit the stereotypes you laid out for them.
If you talk about societies well...In Japan there is a culture of showing respect towards strangers and a sense of community (hopefully includes foreign residents). This helps reduce crimes like stealing. Also Japan has had a few decades of all-middle class. However, that is changing and as the rich- poor divide widens crime rates may increase as the ''have-nots'' steal from the ''haves''.

NPA often publishes misleading statistics about crimes by foreigners in Japan. A large proportion of these ''crimes'' by foreigners is actually overstaying visas and not violent crimes or stealing as the newspapers would have you imagine.
Of course there are Japanese criminals too.
Recently there has been a problem with foreign customers being targeted for credit card fraud in Roppongi (an area of Tokyo that many foreign residents visit)
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20100829a4.html
by gilesdesign (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/8/30 17:16
Redhound,

As mentioned, while Japan has a fair share of thefts, I don't feel that many are targeted on Americans. However, you should keep in mind that most warnings will be distributed in Japanese language.

From time to time we get to hear information on the media or through local bulletin boards about how we can prevent ourselves from being victims of various crimes. As in any country, crimes have trends and we should prepare against each trend of the time.

For example, I think any local today knows that we should put a net over our bicycle baskets even though we are sure our belongings are tightly attached to ourselves. It's important to *show* that we have the net. Otherwise, thieves will try to snatch our belongings making the owner trip over eventually being critically injured.

Also, perhaps this is not targeted only towards "foreigners" but there are certain bars and restaurants that will try to charge an unreasonable amount of money or try to steel your credit card information. This seem to happen more to people who go into bars and restaurants without advance research. There are also stalking aimed towards women who are attractively different.

So, no, you need not worry about you being American, but be sure to pay attention to warnings *just as the locals do* and don't listen to people who say that you don't need to lock your door or that practically nothing gets stolen in Japan, because a lot of things do.

The key is to be social with people in your neighborhood. That way you will get enough information, people can look after you and therefore your folks will have less to worry about.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/8/30 17:29
Redhound,

I have never heard that non-Japanese (including Americans) get targeted for thefts, and certainly my spouse (non-Japaense, not American) has not experienced any tendency like that during his 20+ years in Japan, (initially as a tourist, then as a student, then working full-time and living as a resident).

Of course, be it that you come as a tourist or stay as a resident, you need to keep your common sense and pay the "usual" attention. Having said that, some people walk around and ride trains with purses/tote bags that are open at the top, so you don't have to be as cautious as in central Chicago or New York.

Your step-mother must have heard someone's "fear of the unknown" kind of comments - people harbor anxiety about other "people" because they don't know them in person :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Thank you so much 2010/8/31 00:10
First of all let me thank everyone for their quick and thought out responses. I had hoped it was just as AK had said, that it might just be the "fear of the unknown" and that's why I wanted to ask further.

I thought Japan for the most part wouldn't have anymore thefts than any other country and all you have to do is be smart about it, use common sense and pay attention. I'm glad to see that I was at least on the right track.

Since I would like to move to Japan after I'm done with my degree I want to make sure any rumors I hear can be properly explained or label it as rubbish.
by Redhound rate this post as useful

older generation 2010/8/31 11:54
I think lots of older generation in western countries that have never traveled to Japan in recent years have some conflicting or confused ideas about Japan and the Japanese.
Lots of their generation have opinions of Japanese as the ruthless, cruel, war mongerers of the past and have never forgiven Japanese for unit 731, POW camps etc.
When I got a job to move to Japan, my grandparents friends disapproved and had some funny opinions like that about the Japanese character etc.
I think you just have to take people as you find them and not take on the grudges of a previous generations hardships.

. 2010/8/31 12:51
@ gilesdesign

I think your hitting what could be the problem, at least from what I can see. My grandfather fought in the Vietnam war and has not been the most racially tolerant person to say the least. I believe some of that spilled over to my father and to most of my family.

Although, I don't share their views on subjects and matters pertaining to race I believe it's best to take the actions of what some of the previous posters wrote, and what you wrote as well when it comes to dealing with a new terrain and community.

Sorry if that in any way is confusing; maybe not, but it sounded weird to me.

Take care with nightclubs etc 2010/8/31 14:53
There was actually a news article a couple of days ago about the Azabu police reporting that foreigners are being specifically targetted for credit card scams, particularly in Roppongi.
http://www.japantoday.com/category/crime/view/credit-card-scam-targeti...

There has been a warning on the US embassy website for a long time about drink spiking & theft. I know someone who had their drink spiked and lost 24 hours out of his life - from a drink spiking in Shinjuku.

Generally I would say crimes are not directed at foreigners, but with nightlubs etc foreigners definitely can be specifically targetted.
by girltokyo (guest) rate this post as useful

read before you post 2010/8/31 16:53
we already mentioned the credit scam in roppongi, look up ;)

. 2010/9/1 00:04
@ girltokyo

Thank you regardless for posting; I did in fact read through the article a second time to make sure I was getting all the same info.

Something I have known about, but didn't think too much of was drink spiking; a good reminder to only drink something you buy and keep an eye on it.

ordered... or opened. 2010/9/1 11:39
Apologies for the repost. I scanned through to see if there was a hyperlink.

It might be a bit extreme, but if you are drinking alone, only drinking something you see opened in front of you is possibly safer. The acquaintance of mine thinks its quite possible that the bar staff spiked his drink. He had no recollection of where he was other than it in a little place in Shinjuku east of the station.
by girltokyo (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread