Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

appropriate clothing 2010/9/4 17:21
Hi,

I'll stay at a japanese buissness partner's house for 2 days during my holiday trip.
He was over at our company for training for two months. He's actually from a japanese company that supports our asian customers.
I never worked with him while he was here, but I started talking to him about japan during breaktime. We kept in touch via e-mail for a while now and he helped me with my itinerary.

Now I wonder how should I cloth while staying at his place. Can I be informale (jeans+pullover) or should I wear more formal cloths (althought being on holiday, will I still be seen as a representiv of my company?)

Moreover, I'll stay at his places fri and sat. He is taking a day off to show me where he lives. I know that japanese hardly take holidays. I honestly feel guilty for him doing so. I need to repay him with something really special. Any ideas what I could bring? A regular souvenir from my homeplace won't do!

Please advice me!
by jr (guest)  

. 2010/9/5 09:15
Casual clothes would be fine, the Japanese are as relaxed at home as anybody else. As for gifts from a foreign guest, food and drink always work. You can impress your partner with a bottle of good alcohol (I suggest whisky or cognac) and some quality chocolates, all nicely wrapped.
by irka rate this post as useful

... 2010/9/5 10:51
Considering that you are on your vacation, casual clothing should be fine. If you want to be on the safe side, you might want to pack a "neat casual" style, meaning, maybe a pair of chino pants, maybe a blouse/shirt (something with collar) instead of all T-shirts and all jeans.

As for gifts - maybe you could ask to host a dinner one evening? Ask him to pick a place (as you don't know the area) but tell him that you will be paying.
by AK rate this post as useful

... 2010/9/5 13:07
Since he is a guest, I think it highly unlikely that his host would pick a place to eat and then accept that his guest will buy the bill.

Won't happen and as the host it would feel awkward/uncomfortable.

Take some that your host like. If he drinks, a fine bottle of wine or champagne, etc.

These days, there's not much you can't get in Japan so you could consider giving something that's special to you (your favorite chocolate, wine, coffee table book, etc.).

A gift always mean more when it's from the heart and has a good story attached to it.
by kyototrans rate this post as useful

. 2010/9/6 08:48
Jr,

The Japanese do take days off. It really depends on the company, and companies that deal with foreign customers tend to be more liberal. So don't worry about it. Relax and enjoy your stay. You might want to offer help in the house, even if it's just as a gesture.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

go for it laz-e-boy style 2010/9/10 17:15
I ran into a JP coworker one time on the weekend. His attire was baggy jeans hanging from his butt, tank top and NY Yankees cap with the bill flat and crooked, topped with some JP bling. I thought, "is this really our company's CFO?" Ok, that wasn't true, but it wouldn't surprise me now if it was true.
I wouldn't worry going in your jeans and pull over unless there is a specific business-like agenda that has been clarified between you two. If not, leave that suit at home. If you're worried still, business casual would be fine: kakis, lacoste t-shirt, a blazer and nice shoes but comfortable ones for walking.
by jmarkley rate this post as useful

thanks 2010/9/11 00:25
Thanks alot to all of you!

I think to stick at neat-causual (black dress pant, confortable shoes) at the arriving day coming from Narita travelling to his place. But I'll allow myself to wear jeans/pullover on the second day.

@irka
My hometown produces wine. Do you think that would be okay as well? How popular is choclate with japanese? I know a japanese that never ate choclate before going to a trip to europe.

@AK
Thanks for your suggestion on neat casual. I'll stick to that.

@kyototrans
Unfortunatly I don't know what he likes. I'm going to skype him tomorrow. I hope to learn more about him then.
As he worked here for two months, would you consider it a good idea to bring a picture book from the area?

@Uco
I hope you are right. He works in a Nikkei 225 - Company, so they might be still be traditional.

@jmarkley
I alomst belived the first part of your post!
Thanks for oyur reply.

One more question: He's married but has no children. What should I bring his wife?

Once again thanks alot for all your answers. It's really a great forum and I was really concerned about this. As he won't just take a day off and lets me stay at his house but as well will drive me quite far to see Fuji-san and Matusmoto-jo with me [which is a really great distance!]

One more time thanks alot to all of you?

by jr (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/9/12 13:45
Neat casual would be great, but only take things that don't need ironing.

I think wine would be fine, but it really depends on his personal taste. I always bring whisky or cognac/brandy for my Japanese relatives because I know for sure that's what they enjoy the most.

Chocolate is very popular, there are lots of it in any supermarket. Not so much quality dark chocolate and chocolate with fillings (fruit/nut/creamy), so this is what I usually bring.

As for your partner's wife, is there any specialty food/craft in your area? Bring her that, and don't forget to have it nicely wrapped.
by irka rate this post as useful

reply to this thread