Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Jet applicant advise 2010/9/6 07:18
hi i am considering applying for jet in 2011/2012 year (have to graduate frist) i like to know as much information and pointers to help me get it including how much money i should save and if possible recommendation of places to learn japanese.

i know theres alot here to ask thank you in advance
by Emmett S  

Try a JET forum 2010/9/6 21:53
I suggest going to ithinkimlost.com or bigdaikon.com or japanjuku.com these are all JET Forums which have heaps of current, former and future JETs that can answer all your questions.
by LB (guest) rate this post as useful

thanks 2010/9/7 03:36
thanks for those website lists they are very detailed and helpfull
by Emmett S rate this post as useful

JET might be cancelled? 2010/9/9 12:52
You better keep checking the news because according to this article the JET system seems to be under discussion about whether it will be cancelled or changed..

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/fl20100907ad.html

I don't know a lot about it as I am not a teacher but maybe some people here can clarify if that is true or not and how ongoing or recent these discussions are.

by gilesdesign rate this post as useful

JET program definitely recommended 2010/9/9 14:56
The JET program forum sites are good places to get an idea of what it's like, but be warned that there're a disproportionate number of people who have had bad experiences on these sites. The fact is that the majority of people enjoy their time in the program, and would do it again.

About the talk of cuts or abolition of the program, there may be some changes, but it's highly unlikely that the program will be cut in any significant way. Also you should know that the JET program is only a way for school districts to find ALTs. Once you start working you are employed by your school, so whatever changes may take place in the JET program, they will not affect you.
by jonsha rate this post as useful

JET 2010/9/9 18:15
It's unlikely the number of JETs will be cut further. What is likely is that JET salaries and benefits will go down, which has already happened across the rest of the ALT and Eikawa industry. JET has always paid more than anything else and had better benefits (such as paid plane tickets to and from Japan, 12-20 days of paid vacation when the norm for Japan is 5-10, and more). If JET wants to survive it will have to cut these things.
by Jup (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread