Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Anxious about Japan 2010/9/13 07:15
Alright, so I am heading to Japan in just over one week. I have booked my travel and accommodation, planned ahead for places to go. But, my biggest worries are that I will be too ignorant of the customs and language to get by.

I will be staying with a host family for the bulk of my trip (about one month), and they speak English well. I've been trying to learn Japanese, but due to my situation at the moment the only learning materials I have are very basic Japanese. Like a phrase book, I know the basic greetings, how to introduce myself, and a few other rudimentary things.
So the questions I have are:

Speaking Japanese, will I overly offend anyone by using the few basic phrases I know?
(I don't really see this being a big problem, I'm just nervous)

Cellphones, I have a basic UK phone that takes SIM cards. Do the Japanese use SIM cards, and will they work in a UK phone?

Customs and etiquette. I am horrible with chopsticks, and I may forget some manners that are important in Japanese culture. I don't really see how this will be a big problem...Has anyone who has visited Japan found they had problems related to forgetting manners?

The biggest one of all, Trains and subways. I can understand subways and trains in bigger cities being jam-packed to the brim. Are cross-country trains ever like this? (I ask this because in the UK, smaller service trains don't require seat reservations. You could be standing all the way from Gretna to Glasgow!) And transferring trains, signage will be in Japanese, I will learn the city names in Japanese, but will they be hard to spot on the signs?

This has crept up on me a bit faster then I thought! I've a bit unprepared but that's just who I am. Even though I have my doubts I am very excited!
by JapanNewbie (guest)  

no problem 2010/9/13 09:20
please don't worry. You should do just fine with minimal Japanese lanquage skills - I found that you can usually find someone able often more than willing to help. Ask your host family to write out place names in kanji if possible when going out of the major cities. Most signs at airports and train stations contain English subtitles.
I have traveled 3 times to Japan and travelled alone form Tokyo to Hiroshima with several stops in between without geting lost difficulty. Common courtesy will cover your concerns about customs - you won't be expected to actlike a local - people will know you are a visitor and will not only cut you some slack but be willing to help. Some people will actually seek you out to practice their English.
Relax and have a great time!
by bill (guest) rate this post as useful

relax 2010/9/13 09:22
Relax & enjoy,
You will not no everything no much how your study. Most Japanese are very friendly and helpful. Speaking what little Japanese you know will be helpful and it will be appreciated that you are trying. When speaking english, try not to use slang and speak slowly.
The trains are not really a problem. I never had rode a train before visiting Japan. just keep a train or subway map in your back-pack in case you get confused.
Not sure about your cellphone.
I kind of doubt it will work. I'm pretty sure you could ot get a Japanese sim card anyway. You might have to get a rental phone if you need one.
Be sure to take a gift for your host family. Something from your country is best. Read up on this website about the culture & misc. etiquette. You won't learn everything but they won't expect you to. But just relax and be yourself. Enjoy and take lots of pix.
by Daz88 (guest) rate this post as useful

dont worry 2010/9/13 10:25
dont worry at all.
In Japan all foreigners are expected to be bad at Japanese and not know how to use chopsticks, in fact I almost get the feeling that many Japanese actually prefer this as it reassures them about how unique and special Japanese culture is. The opposite is true for example if a foreigner speaks Japanese too well on TV or something people often say it is too weird and stuff like that so don't worry at all.
And dont be surprised if people compliment you on your chopstick ability or japanese skills, it has nothing to do with your actual ability they are just being friendly!
by gilesdesign (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/9/13 11:16
All I can do is tell you what I experienced and that I wouldn't get ovrerly worried about your concerns.

Speaking Japanese, will I overly offend anyone by using the few basic phrases I know?

Not a problem. Even when you say things like "Konnichiwa!", most Japanese seem to be tickled that you are even attempting the language. I found that "Biru ippon onegaishimas" and "Toire wa doku desu ka?" were important phrases. I did make the mistake of trying to start a conversation with an elderly lady in a rural train station by commenting on the weather. She immediately launched into a detailed accounting of something totally beyond my comprehension.

The biggest one of all, Trains and subways. I can understand subways and trains in bigger cities being jam-packed to the brim. Are cross-country trains ever like this?

We had to stand on a few trains coming out of Tokyo, but as we headed further out into the rural areas, plenty of seats were available. My 80-year old father-in-law was with us and he never had to stand, even during rush-hour. Someone would always offer him a seat. We never reserved a seat, even on a shinkansen. We bought unreserved tickets and had plenty of seat left.

And transferring trains, signage will be in Japanese, I will learn the city names in Japanese, but will they be hard to spot on the signs?

Most of the signs in and around the larger cities had the romaji alternating with kanji, so reading destinations was no problem. Just make sure you get on a train heading in the right direction. I had three or four instances where we ended up on the wrong trains. My job as tour director was even in jeopardy as my kids threatened to take the job away from me. I gladly accepted the demotion but had to take the job back when no one else wanted to do it.

Don't worry about it. The worst that can happen is that you will end up taking a little detour to someplace unexpected.
by geogeek1 rate this post as useful

tip 2010/9/13 11:36
If you are from UK (like me) and are used to trains there then you will have no problem in Japan.
I find that trains in Japan are much easier to use and better organised than in UK!!

One tip...
Most trains tickets are cost based not destination based.
So, if you are baffled by the map and dont know the cost of the ticket to get to your destination then you can just buy the cheapest fare and adjust the fare at your destination station. You wont get told off or fined for not having the right ticket like in UK, either go to the (yellow ?) machines near the exit gates or just ask the staff on the ticket gate and you can pay them the difference in the fare.
(of course If you have a JR pass you bought in UK and are using a JR line then it is free anyway, also for hassle free travel you can get a suica/pasmo card for a small fee at any major station, this works like an oyster card)
by gilesdesign (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread