Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Naturalization and Name Change 2010/9/14 12:22
Hi, hi

I'm simply a youth with a bold and ambitious dream of going to japan for college and taking up residence there if I find the country as nice as I hope it is.

This question is more out of curiosity as it is certianly not a pressing matter at the moment, I'm just curious to hear opinions.

Lets say I resided in Japan for five consecutive years and decided that I would like to become a resident to play more of a role in my country and loosen the restraints of being a foreigner.

Now lets say this happens and I then must fill out my new name, written in kana or kanji.

First name aside, how should I go about my family name, Montañez? Should I keep it the same and write it out with a simple モンタニェズ?(Montanyezu), but at the same time, ultimately pin the name of a gaijin upon whatever children I may have in the future? Should I perhaps take the surname of my own Japanese ancestor?, a name that would actually belong to me in a way, but I still must find the name in family documents? Should I take a japanese name that hold the same meaning as Montañez (From the mountains)? Or if I had a wife, would it be best to take that name?

I'm not really in any position to make a decision on a subject that doesn't quite matter just of yet, but I'm very eager to hear of your opinions.
by SamuraiChe  

be Japanese and proud of your heritage 2010/9/14 16:06
If you decide to naturalize then I would keep your name. Lots of Japanese Koreans changed their names (sometimes forced to) but that makes you invisible.
Japan is already multiethnic and has been for thousands of years , just look at hokkaido or okinawa and you find whole different cultures, music, languages etc that were supressed to give Japan the image of monoethnicity, monoculture etc...but it is simply not true.
You can still be Japanese and proud of your heritage. (why hide it)
:)
by gilesdesign (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread