Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Renewing Japanese passport in the US 2010/9/15 00:49
Hi all - I've read through a lot of the posts and although they are helpful, I didn't find an answer to my specific question. Wondering if anyone can help.

I'm a Japanese citizen living in New York and my passport is expiring in a few months. I'm in an awkward spot since I don't speak fluent Japanese and none of the info. on the Consul-General website on Japanese passports is in English.

Can anyone who's gone through this process or is familiar with it help me out with what I need to do in order to renew my Japanese passport in NY? I've looked for expediting services that could help me but can only find ones that deal with US forms and applications. I'm assuming those services catered to Japanese citizens are mostly in Japanese too...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
by juliethemonkey  

. 2010/9/15 13:09
This is L.A. but I'm pretty sure it's the same in NY.

http://www.la.us.emb-japan.go.jp/e_web/e_m02_07_02.htm

Have you called the consulate? I'd be shocked if they couldn't speak English.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/9/15 13:34
Years ago it happened to me that my passport would expire in a month or so while I was on an extended business trip to the US.

I simply took my passport to the nearest Japanese Consulate-General in the US, maybe took an ID photo with me, explained the situation, and got it renewed... in a week or so.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Thank you 2010/9/16 01:32
Thank you both! I will call the consulate when I get back to NYC and let you all know what happens, in case anyone has a similar question later on...
by juliethemonkey rate this post as useful

reply to this thread