Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

NTT telephone license 2010/9/15 10:12
I plan to move to a new apartment soon and wondering about switching over my telephone.

I recently divorced and husband had some kind of document or license for the NTT telephone (I think it was expensive, around 70,000 yen). I obviously won't have that when transferring my telephone now to the new address in my name only.

Is that license system still applicable and will I have to pay around that amount to have the phone set up again?
by Jan (guest)  

No. 2010/9/15 14:32
No, you don't have to pay it again.

Your son bought a right to subscribe a telephone line. He should still have the right and it can be given to other person. If he can give it to you, you can reuse the right and you don't have to pay.

As the second option, now NTT has a "light plan". If you apply for that menu, you don't have to pay the initial fee, that is currently 37,800 yen. But monthly fee becomes more expensive by 200-300 yen. Total payment per month should be about 2,000 + phone call charge.

As the third option, if you want to use the Internet at home, you can apply ADSL without NTT's telephone service. If you need a telephone service, you can apply for IP-phone service your ISP should provide. Monthly fee should depend on the ISP, it should be around 4,000-5,000 yen + phone call charge for telephone + Internet. Phone call charge of ISP's IP phone should be nation-wide flat rate and International call should be also cheap. But you can't have telephone number like 03-xxxx-yyyy. It should be 050-xxxx-yyyy wherever you live.

As the fourth option, if you want to use the Internet at home, you might be able to apply for Flet's Hikari that is fiber-optical service. It depends on where you live. I mean if the optical fiber line has not come to your apartment / condo, you can't use it. It should be a little more expensive than ADSL.

The advantage of the optical service is speed of Internet access and stability. Internet access by the ADSL service sometimes down. And in some areas, ADSL is unavailable for NTT's facility reason.
by fooky rate this post as useful

reply to this thread