Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Undoukai history 2010/9/17 10:22
Does anyone know the history of Undoukai rituals? When I watch my kids do it, its seems very closely tied to military drills. Especially the cheering, warm-ups, and marching they do.
I know the purpose of the Undoukai is to promote health/activity along with community and family. But how did it get started in Japan? Where did they derive their sport events from?
by Anne (guest)  

. 2010/9/17 18:53
Anne,

From a very quick Japanese internet search, I read that the very first undokai in Japan was held in 1874 at a naval academy, and it was lead by an English language teacher from Britain named Frederick William Strenge. The event was called "kyoutou-yuugikai" then which literally means "racing and fighting playing event." Another quick search tells me that Mr. Strenge graduated Eaton and belonged to an amateur boat rolling club in Yokohama. He now sleeps in Aoyama Cemetary.

People may think that undokai is military oriented, but post 19C schooling and official sport events had always been "military oriented", because the system was imported from !9C Europe and North America. You may notice that the Olympics always had people marching in organized rows in formal uniforms and with organized cheering, until in the recent decades they quit the marching only in the final ceremony of the Olympics.

Similarly, undokai as well as schooling in general did change over the years. Nowadays undokai is made much informal than it was a few decades ago. In the recent years, I hear that a lot of schools (or at least kindergartens, perhaps) don't even encourage children to compete any more. They would make the children stop right before the goal line so that all participants can pass the goal at the same time.

I'm quite an anti-war person, but whether military-like formality is bad or not is debatable. I think that as long as children enjoy their education, and as long as there are other opportunities to have fun for children who don't like undokai, it's alright.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

The first minister of education 2010/9/17 21:30
The first Undokai had been held at naval academy, as above person said.
And Arinori Mori, the first minister of education, adopted it for elementary schools in all Japan.
(Who was Arinori Mori)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mori_Arinori
He thought it was required for Fukoku-Kyohei.
(What is Fukoku-Kyohei)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukoku_ky%C5%8Dhei
He was sure that to teach children discipline for training people as soldier was needed. Yes, Undokai still have militaristic element.
Children march like soldier. Some commands are common to military: for example ''migi muke migi'' (Right face)

Few years ago NHK broadcasted the relationship of Mori Arinori and Undokai.
by A.M. (guest) rate this post as useful

thanks 2010/9/18 07:37
Thanks Uco and A.M. for the answers.

Uco- I didn't say it was negative for the children doing it in a military style. Just taking notice.
by Anne (guest) rate this post as useful

Earthquakes 2010/9/18 14:53
War is not the only application of discipline, which is what military drills are intended to teach. For example, during an emergency (such as an earthquake), an orderly evacuation will save hundreds of lives.

Japan has earthquakes in abundance.
by Kenshin (guest) rate this post as useful

notice acknowledged 2010/9/21 10:57
Anne, thanks for the notice.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread