Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Translation 2010/9/18 20:43
Could someone help me to translate below sentences from English to Japanese?

" asking for a snub"
" feel snubbed "
" bring contempt upon oneself"

Thank you.
by CK (guest)  

a beginner's attempt. 2010/9/19 17:17
please do not take this as 100% as i am a beginner. im not sure if your a beginner as well or more advanced or not, but i will write of the details as well.

im not sure about the word "snub", perhaps you can use a different wording?

for "to bring contempt upon self", i think it could go:

じぶんにぶじょくはもたらします。
jibun ni bujoku wa motarashimasu.
OR
じぶんにぶじょくはじさんに(しています)。
jibun ni bujoku wa jisan ni (shiteimasu)

------------------------------------------
i researched around and "motarasu" seems to be fitting, it means 'to bring about, to take'. As for "jisan", its a noun for "bring".

"shiteimasu" is the "masu" form of "shite+iru
", additionally, "shite" is the "te" form of "shi", which means "to do".

well considering theres always 'more then one path leads to the same destination', the sentences can be varied and isnt always fixed.
by AssassinWarrior rate this post as useful

re: 2010/9/19 17:28
oh sorry, i think a better term for "give" is "ageru"(あげる), but in this case, the receiver is oneself, so "kureru"(くれる) is used instead.

that being said, if the sentence is written in hiragana, it would be:

じぶんにぶじょくはくれるます。
jibun ni bujoku wa kurerimasu.

"jibun", means "oneself, (my/your)self, (him/her)self".

... 2010/9/19 17:51
To CK,

I think it would be easier for anyone to help if you provided the context instead of just the phrases.

For example, for "asking for a snub," the tone would be completely different if you were warning someone beforehand "oh that'll be asking for a snub (so don't do it)" or if someone acted stupidly/said something stupid and you are telling that person "well, you asked for it/deserved" kind of tone.

And also do you mean being shrugged off (made light of), or rejected (elbowed)?

Also would you be using that with a friend (informal speech) or with someone senior to you for example (polite speech)?

Even for "feel snubbed," there can be different shades of meaning - "feeling rejected," "feeling ignored," "feeling insulted (in general)," etc.

Those phrases are not easy to translate just as a phrase :)

To AssassinWarrior,

I know you are doing your best, but *particularly* for such delicate expressions, word-for-word translations such as the ones you've tried to give simply do not work.

And you cannot use "ageru" (give) or "kureru" (someone gives to you) instead of "bring."
And "jisan" does not mean "bring" in the sense of "causing (yourself an outcome)." It is used only in the sense of "physically bringing something with you," and in rather formal occasions only.
by AK rate this post as useful

re: 2010/9/19 18:34
oh alright.

---
AK doing the translation is best since shes japanese. :)

re: 2010/9/19 18:36
sorry for double post.

i would like to see ay's explanation also if he/she was here. :)

... 2010/9/19 19:44
AssassinWarrior,

I'm not saying that "I" should answer the language questions or anything like that, and I'm not saying that only Japanese people should answer, either.

I am just making corrections on your attempted answers, which I'm sure you've kindly made seeing that no-one was responding yet. But if I see that the attempted answers were very un-informed, I have no choice but to say so, so that the original poster does not walk away with mis-information.

To give useful answers to CK's original request/question, I prefer to wait until he/she provides the context, so that better answers can be suggested.
by AK rate this post as useful

re: 2010/9/20 07:52
oh, i didnt mean it like that, i meant that you were simply more preferred in the translation since you were know way more of the expressions and stuff then me since i most of the time depends on word-by-word translation.

sometimes you can see it through the words of the thread poster if he is serious or not. this isn't to disrespect CK, but in my opinion and my opinion only, i think it will take some time before he comes back and give us the context.

reply to this thread