Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Understanding Numbers & Prices 2010/9/20 11:09
I am going to Japan in a few weeks for the first time, with little to know knowledge of the language. A friend of mine mentioned how one of the hardest things she had to deal with was understanding & reading numbers/prices in Japanese.

Is this true? I am assuming that its NOT written in western numbers, but instead the characters. But if I learn my 0-9, is it still tough?

Thanks!
by plarser  

prices 2010/9/20 11:18
Is this true? I am assuming that its NOT written in western numbers, but instead the characters. But if I learn my 0-9, is it still tough?

Most shops and restaurants list their prices in arabic numerals. The exception would be the occasional restaurant (usually Izakaya or restaurants that serve Japanese dishes) that list their prices in kanji. Learn the numerals 0-9, 10, 100, 1000, 10000, and the kanji for yen and you'll should be able to figure everything out.

These links will help you get started:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9rlfhtBzyQ

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2046.html

by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Thank you! 2010/9/20 12:52
Great thank you for the very informative response!
by plarser rate this post as useful

Difficult! 2010/9/20 18:37
One of the most difficult things to get used to in another language is numbers! Especially if you don't use them every day.

If you start to look confused at the numbers and there's no display, generally a Japanese person will write it down. If the price is like 832 yen, they might say "Hachi san ni" or even sometimes "Eight three two" in English.
by mn (guest) rate this post as useful

calculator 2010/9/21 06:46
"Ikurudesuka?" means "how much is it?": my VERY limited Japanese was enough to allow shop assistants to then put the amount on a calculator, and show me. I know numbers, but not their Kanji, and could never understand the fast verbal responses, so the calculator works a treat.
by fmj rate this post as useful

Small correction 2010/9/21 08:02
Just for the sake of accuracy, it's actually "ikura desu ka" rather than "ikuru", which could get you some blank looks!
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

oops!! 2010/9/21 20:35
my typing stands corrected
by fmj rate this post as useful

reply to this thread