Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to apply for a PR status in Japan? 2010/9/23 15:54
Hi all, I have lived in Japan for 9 years now, and would like to apply for PR. Do I need to go through a lawyer to apply or can I directly approach the immigration office. I mean, is applying through a lawyer better in any way? Also the 10 year restriction to get a PR, is it by law or just an unofficial number. Thank you.
by Guest (guest)  

PR visa 2010/9/23 17:07
Guest,

You just go to your local immigration office and apply in the same way as you would for any other visa application or renewal. There is no need or advantage in using a lawyer or agent unless you are totally incapable of communicating with the staff in English or Japanese, or are unable to get to the immigration office in person yourself.
The 10-year period often quoted is just a general rule of thumb and not a hard-and-fast restriction, so if you have been here 9 years, your chances of being approved are probably very high.
The only point you need to bear in mind is that you need to have several months remaining on your current visa. Unlike with other visa applications, you cannot apply just as your current visa is about to expire and get a temporary extension while the new visa is being processed. Note that the PR visa can take anything from two or three to even eight months to process even when there are no obvious problems, so don't expect a quick turnaround.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread