Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where to throw the rubbish 2010/9/27 12:06
I notice that in many places, there are hardly any garbage cans. For instance, I went to an omatsuri and we bought food, but there was no place to throw the rubbish. Or like when we went to Chinatown where we bought food from the outside stalls. Even the stalls themselves don't seem to have a garbage can. I mean to look and see what other people do, but always keep forgetting. Where do all the people put the rubbish? Although I don't remember exactly, it also didn't seem like people went around carrying their own bag to put rubbish in, so where in the world do they put it!!?? I seem to be the only one who carries such a huge bag (to put DS's stuff in as well as extra plastic bags) -- everyone else seems to only have the minimal -- a small purse/bag. One time DH threw his rubbish (a skewer stick) on the ground or in some bucket and I was shocked since I don't want to litter and I picked it up and put it in a bag I had. But on the other hand, I can see his point. There is nowhere to throw it away and it is so inconvenient to carry rubbish, especially bigger sized rubbish like obento trays. Has anyone else taken notice of this? I know it would be costly for the gov't to provide extensive garbage service since the population is so huge. So I am just wondering what all the people do with their rubbish. I will have to make a point to notice it next time I go out.
by MomotaroPeachBoy  

... 2010/9/27 13:41
If you're eating at a stand, give your trash back to the vendor. Otherwise, carry it with you back home or until you find a trash can.

This is what most people do.

Littering is one of the worst forms of public offense.
Just because there is no trash can around does not give one the freedom to destroy the surrounding environment.

People who litter should be fined or worse!
by kyototrans rate this post as useful

. 2010/9/27 14:12
There used to be a lot of dust bin to collect rubbish almost everywhere, but after sarin gas attack in the Tokyo subway system in 1995, most of the bins were removed as they are regarded the highly possible place where the gas package or explosives are hidden by the terrorists.

When there's a big event either organizer or municipality prepare special (temporary) dust bins but for smaller events or everyday scene you're expected to bring your own rubbish back home.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

- 2010/9/27 21:15
Yeah, I can't stand littering! I also really wish there weren't so many cigarette butts. Now that you mention about the gas attacks, it all makes sense, but it's really sad because at the park nearby I see lots of rubbish, kid's candy wrappers, so I worry the next generation will grow up not learning about respecting the environment. And in the gutters I see so many (drink) cans.
by MomotaroPeachBoy rate this post as useful

People carry around but amount is small 2010/9/27 22:23
A similar question has been posted before, so you may be able to find it by doing a search, but people do carry their rubbish. At least I do, and they fit in my purse very nicely. It's just that it's not every day that you'd end up with bulk rubbish while walking around town.

For one thing, it is not considered to be good manners to eat while walking. So one would buy something, eat it nearby, and then surrender the rubbish to the shop they bought it from. Usually the shops would accept the rubbish from people who bought their merchandise, as long as the amount of rubbish is not over the top.

Otherwise, a lot of people just don't eat outside. They would eat at a diner or they would bring the food home. If they bring food from home, they would put it in non-disposable packages: ecology-friendly.

It's true that most bins were taken away since the Sarin and 9.11 terrorism incidents. But an expert told me that places that don't have waste bins interestingly ends up with less litter.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread