Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to move to Japan at 14? 2010/9/29 03:44
Hello! ^^ I'm trying to figure out how to move to Japan. I know you can't stay alone in Japan legally at 14, but I know 2 different family members that would be willing to go with me if I could figure out the details of moving there. I know quite a bit of Japanese, not exactly fluent but almost there, and am currently learning Hiragana and Kanji. ^^ I know a lot about the Japanese culture, since I've been interested in it for about 4 or so years now,and i also know that being in school in Japan would not be easy especially being in high school and not completely knowing Japanese. I know Japan isn't like how it apears in drama's, anime's, and manga's. Even so, I'd really, really, REALLY love to move there so if someone could help me with working out the details on how I could get an apartmentand how much the plain tickets would cost etc., I'd be extreemly grateful. Thank you in advance!!!
by momusu<3 (guest)  

. 2010/9/29 09:14
I donLt want to discourage you, but first, you should get fluent in Japanese before attempting to enter a Japanese High School, which would be a harsh experience without the appropiate level of Japanese. Then, you should think how you would survive, since you need to have a certain age before you can legally work in Japan... My advice, donLt try to do everything so fast!!
I would recommend you to first go to Japan for a short period of time (that is, as a tourist or to do a Japanese course to highen your Japanese level during your next summer vacation or something), discover if you really like it and what you want to do there. You must also think about working/studying permits -seems easier for me to go and study in Japan for a university degree or something like that- and how are you going to survive.
by aerond rate this post as useful

realistic option 2010/9/29 12:21
Your only real choice at this age is to go on an organised student exchange through a program- have you looked in to any? Otherwise, you are unlikely to be granted a visa to live in Japan.

Even if you can go with a family member as a dependent, that family member will have to find a full-time job in Japan in order to receive a visa permitting him/her to stay in Japan more than 90 days.The minimum education requirement for a working visa in Japan is a bachelor's degree, and jobs are limited for people who do not speak good Japanese.

There have been quite a few questions from people of your age wanting to do the same thing on this forum in the last couple of years- try a search to see what people had to say on those threads.

Try to be patient, and start working on a path that will allow you to live and study or work in Japan when you are a bit older. From the age of 13 or so I wanted nothing more than to live and work overseas, but I had to wait until I had finished high school and university before I was able to fulfill my dream of travelling and living abroad. It was definitely worth the wait.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

well.... 2010/9/29 14:16
You still a half child,and you write like you know a lot about everything (Japanese,history,culture ecc)
i have been here for almost a decade and still have to understand all the detalis of this country.
seriously,first try to grow up a little,after high school try to get a degree and then you can apply to work here as teacher for some company,i think this will be the best way to you.
good luck with your dreams.
by Gaigokujin in Japan (guest) rate this post as useful

not so easy.... 2010/9/29 16:47
Sorry to say it is not so easy to do what you want to do.....

Japan is a truely wonderful place but you can not understand Japan just from anime or manga or movies, you have to experiance the culture of Japan and understand Japanese people, undestand the land and the mountains, the cities and the history, the religion, you need to undestand daily life and realise Japanese people work very very hard daily and mayeb you can realise it is not quite the same as you imagination may be telling you.....

Have you ever been to Japan before ?

I am not trying to discourage you not be rude, but at your age I think it would be wise to study more and have a full education so you have something to use to help you with a life in Japan in the future.

At 13 you have a long time left to achieve your dreams, and what you do over the next few years, will be the foundation of your dreams, the thing you can build a future on, not just a dream......

I have been to Japan many many thime, and lived there for a while, but I still find excitement and new things every time I go.

I love the place and would happily life there tomorrow if it was as simple as that, but it is not, so I just enjoy my time there with little care until the day I can too live the, which may take time, but I am sure I can make it happen one day......

But for you you have great oppertunity to build a future now, to help you achieve your dream on living in Japan..... Imagine if you study Japanese hard, and become fluent, and study Japanese history or culture....... when you are older you could feel so happy in Japan because of the understanding of the language and culture..... today prepare for your dream........ and later you can acheive it....
by kodamadesune rate this post as useful

Hi~! 2010/9/30 09:43
Hey there!

I too want to move to Japan (I am 15 years old). My advice is don't go to Japan yet- like others have said. Study abroad during some summer. Get good grades throughout high school, learn Japanese, and if you still want to live in Japan, go to a Japanese university. Even if your Japanese isn't up to par, there are many English programs within Japanese universities with the Global 30 Project.

That's the route I'm going (to my knowledge). Then you can graduate with a degree from a good university, live in Japan with little worry about vista and housing, and probably get a good job in Japan! Way less messy than trying to get a visa during high school...

Good luck~! Kira
by Kira (guest) rate this post as useful

:/ 2010/10/15 13:49
really? you think theres no possible way?? the person i would go there with has more tahn a batchlors degree. and i do know a lot even if i am just 14. i know its nothing like anime manga and shows because i have quite a few japanese friends who have been/lived in japan.you really think there is no possible way?? i tried reading questions by other people who have similar questions and everyone of them is only people saying no, no no its not possible. even if you dont think i could, how would i be able to? would you please answer that much?? like what would i need to do?? please dont reply just saying i cant, tell me how i can! TToTT
by momusu<3 (guest) rate this post as useful

moving to Japan 2010/10/15 14:09
you think theres no possible way?? the person i would go there with has more tahn a batchlors degree.

Assuming the family member supports your plan to move with you to Japan, are they your legal guardian? If not then you wouldn't qualify for a dependant visa.

you really think there is no possible way??

People have already mentioned exchange programs. That is probably your best bet, and if you are really serious about moving to Japan then I would look more into these types of programs. Be aware, however, that year long and multi-year long programs are expensive.

even if you dont think i could, how would i be able to? would you please answer that much?? like what would i need to do?? please dont reply just saying i cant, tell me how i can!

As others have mentioned, the most basic thing you need is a visa. At 14 you realistically only qualify for a student visa, so you will have to work out that detail before you can even consider things like money, housing, etc. Again, finding an exchange program is your most realistic chance to move to Japan in the near future.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread