Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Wards/Area for renting in Tokyo 2010/9/30 11:31
My office is in Nihombashi (chuo-ku). We would like to rent apartment no more than 30mns by train to the office. Looking for 2LDK with budget of up to Y.150,000 per month.

1. With the above requirement, is this reasonable?
2. Please tell me which wards/areas would you recommend to stay and why.
by mochisakura  

Adachi-ku 2010/9/30 12:40
I think it is reasonable.
It depends on the station you use from your office, but if it is Mitsukoshimae or or Nihonbashi, maybe Adachi-ku.

I've checked and there seem to be quite a lot of apartment (or what is named ''mansion'' in Japanese) within 5 min walk from Nishiarai/Umejima/Gotanno Station of Tobu/Hibiya line.

- 2LDK
- 60 - 70m2
- around 140,000-150,000 (lowest starting from less than 80,000 JPY)

The area is not too far from central Tokyo, and generally the cost of living (especially food such as veg. meat, fish) are lower compared with the central/western part of Tokyo.

In case of Nishiarai, semi-express trains stop there (for Tobu line) and there are several super markets and one big shopping mall near the station.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

totally not unreasonable 2010/9/30 12:58
Hey I did a quick search using the requirements you stated:
I found a place that is 136,000 JPY/month + 5,000 community fee, No reikin ("thank you money"), 2-months deposit, 2LDK, located in Hiroo (Minato-ku), 10 mins from Hiroo station Hibiya Line and 20 minutes to Nihonbashi changing trains once at Higashi Ginza to the Asakusa Line).
The building itself is relatively old (built 1977 so if that bothers you, there should be other places in the vicinity (might be newer but more expensive).
I like the area it is located, called Moto-Azabu, which has great proximity to Roppongi, Ebisu, close to an international school (if you got/planning kids). Ebisu Station on JR Line is only one stop away for convenience to Shibuya, Shinjuku, etc.
The area is also located close to many foreign embassies and you can bet it's a safe area (not that Japan is that dangerous to begin with).
I used to work in Minato-ku and loved the area with its bars, restaurants and locals.
I write a little bit on apartments in Japan (http://apartment-japan.com)in general but if you need more info, just private message me on YIM (markleyjeffd),facebook, twitter (jefmarkley).
Good luck with your search.
by jmarkley rate this post as useful

Adachi-Ku 2010/9/30 20:19
hey guys
Thank u so much for your valuable tips/advise/suggestions.. really appreciated. Adachi -ku sounds pretty good to commute from office (nihombashi station). Will keep that in mind...
Feel free to suggest more if you have any....

Jeff, your link is so useful mate! thank u :)
by mochisakura rate this post as useful

... 2010/10/1 03:27
"30 minutes from Nihonbashi 2LDK under 150k yen" probably represents 15-25% of available apartments in Tokyo.

You need to be more specific about your own needs.
- Do you have a spouse or kids
- Is apartment security a concern
- How long are you planning on living there
- What type of lifestyle you enjoy (cook at home, out every weekend, home parties)
- Does building condition matter
- How far is the supermarket
- Is surrounding noise a concern or are you a loud tenant

Finding any old place to stay for a short period of time in Tokyo is easy.
Finding a place you will want to call home and enjoying going back to after work will actually take planning and research.

For example, if you like to go out drinking late at night often, you need to think about getting home after the trains stop (by 1am). A 30 minute commute could mean a 10,000 yen cab fare.

Even if your remove the discrimination against foreigners factor, changing apartments is a major decision in Japan because of all the costs involved.

And in general, don't trust real estate people. Their job requires them to get the apartment filled and they are masters at glossing over those "minor details". Be observant and ask questions. Make sure you know which questions to ask.
by kyototrans rate this post as useful

yup agree.. 2010/10/2 01:17
hhmm you are absolutely right sometimes agents are really cunning and at the end of the day they just want to close deal. anyway..... we want a quiet and safe neighbourhood (if exist at all in tokyo), supermarket/market nearby and tokyo subway, not really interested catching JR Train and then change to Tokyo subway train - really hassle..:(

if i could find somewhere at the end of each tokyo subway line would be great eg.(Nakano on Mita line/Kita-senju on hibiya line etc etc
http://speedymole.com/Tubes/Tokyo/tokyo-subway-map.html
Although might not be 30mns anymore hehhhee..

Is there any tips that I should avoid in choosing apartment through an agent?

Thanks a bunch in advance...

by mochisakura rate this post as useful

reply to this thread