Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

"You're good" in Japanese 2010/9/30 19:16
Uhm, I've heard of many japanese phrases that mean you are goo like: " Anata wa sugurete iru" and "Yoi" but when i went to a small but famous Japanese restaurant named "Korokke", (yes there are few stores here in the Philippines that offer Japanese things, food etc) the owner told me something that sounded like "chouzun" or "jouzun" or something that sounded like with an "-un" at the end and he told me that that meant good or you are good, because last time we went there i told him "douitashimashite" and he was shocked and praised me...Can you please tell me what is that word? It might help me because i am dreaming to go to Japan after i graduate and earn money. It would be very nice it you would tell me, *bows* Arigato Gozaimasu.
by Kathy P  

... 2010/9/30 22:34
Could that have been "Jouzu ne" or something like that? "jouzu" is an adjective sayiing "you're good (at languages, crafts, etc., other skills." Maybe he said it with a long emphasis like "Jouzuuuuuu!" or "Jouzu ne!" again with "ne" at the end as an emphasis. Anyway that's the word that comes to mind from what you said there :)
by AK rate this post as useful

jouzu 2010/9/30 22:47
It was almost certainly "jouzu"- very commonly heard by foreigners in Japan even if they come out with just one word of Japanese!
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/10/1 15:16
Yeah, you could sneeze and someone would tell you your Japanese was jouzu (o_o)/
by kyototrans rate this post as useful

kushami jouzu 2010/10/1 22:12
As long as you said "hakushon!" or something close to it when you sneezed ;-)
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

other one 2010/10/2 04:08
"yoozu" is the more formal. But you van use "UMAI" as well. is a more friendly word.
by Lord Magus rate this post as useful

. 2010/10/2 09:34
Some variations.
sugoi すごい、すごーい
umai うまい、うまいね、うまいなー (Also good tasting food)
jyozu 上手(じょうず)(+ね、+だなー, etc.)
uwate 上手(うわて) better than someone else
taisita monoda 大したものだ (+ね)
by ay (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread