Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

japanese for a yr 2010/10/5 22:02
i'm doing research for the JET program. I'm considering Fukuoka Sendai and Niigata based on their location and activities as well as their rich history. Can anyone inform me as to which is most affordable and any other places to consider where i can be immersed in the culture but have access to entertainment such as clubs shopping and great dining?
by kpa (guest)  

JET 2010/10/6 11:41
If clubs and shopping are a real priority, you might want to reconsider applying to JET. Many JET placements are very rural, with no clubs or good shopping anywhere that is possible as a daytrip, and requesting a placement nearer to a city is no guarantee of getting it.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

clarity 2010/10/6 12:24
i'm sure the reason for my interest/ query was stated yet misinterpreted. Here's clarity: I am simply asking where i can find an affordable living environment where i can be exposed to traditional Japanese life as well as have some familiar entertainment options. Thank you.
by kpa (guest) rate this post as useful

more clarification 2010/10/6 12:44
What do you mean by "familiar entertainment options"? Other that, anywhere that is outside of the bigger cities, but close enough to access them easily (say anywhere from 1-2 hours out by train) would fit your requirements. I think the most limiting factor so far would be clubs (if you mean night clubs) which are really only found around the larger cities.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Sorry 2010/10/7 00:47
Sorry, but you can't choose where to live with JET, so your questions are pretty pointless. Last thing you want to do if applying for JET is get your hopes up that you'll end up in a decent city. Odds are you'll end up at least 2-3 hours away from any population centres.
by Sorry (guest) rate this post as useful

difficult to answer 2010/10/7 08:18
kpa, it's hard to answer your questions I'm afraid- for one thing I'm not sure what your definition of traditional Japanese life is.

Real "traditional Japanese life" as I think of it only really still exists in the tiny (and rapidly depopulating) fishing and farming villages where you would be the only non-Japanese for miles, hours away from the nearest decent-sized town, let alone places with clubs. On JET you actually stand quite a good chance of being placed somewhere like this.

Closer to bigger cities, like Sendai and Fukuoka, you will find modern Japanese life- people will be commuting to offices, and there are likely to be plenty of other non-Japanese around.

Sendai and Fukuoka cities are large enough to have some clubs, Niigata city less so, but there are still bars and pubs. As you probably know, Fukuoka and Niigata are the names of prefectures as well as their capital cities, so a placement in either of those two could range from fairly urban to extremely rural.

by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

JET placement 2010/10/7 10:47
Sorry, but you can't choose where to live with JET, so your questions are pretty pointless.

That's not entirely true. While it is more difficult to get larger/more popular cities, you would stand a decent chance of requesting and being placed in a smaller city just outside the larger city you really want to be in.

For example, everyone requests Tokyo and Kyoto and stand very little chance of getting those placements, but request somewhere in Saitama or Shiga prefectures and you will have a good chance of being placed within a 30-60 min train ride of your target city. Do your homework and you can increase your odds of being in the general area of your choosing.

One more question for the OP, are snowsports high on your list of "activities" because that's what I read into your choice of Niigata and Sendai. If that's the case then you may want to rethink Fukuoka. By the way, what specifically led you to choose those cities? They're all pretty different so I'm having a difficult time figuring out what you're looking for.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Fukuoka FTW 2010/10/7 17:47
I was in Fukuoka for 5 years and really liked it.
It's like...lemme see...a smaller version of Ikebukuro: you have clubs, red light disctrict, shopping, big brands and great food. Very lively urban culture (lots of reggae people), musicians on the street, one of the biggest festivals in the country (Hakata Dontaku Matsuri), museums, and did I mention they have great local food?
Plus, a very warm population of locals, only a few train lines to worry about, and shares some important Japanese historical sites (Dazaifu Shrine, Iki Island). It's not a concrete jungle like Tokyo and was a "perfect" size for me. To me it has the best of "traditional" and modern Japan all in one package. Oh yeah, there's Costco too.

If you are lucky to get to choose your JET location, then Fukuoka is great. Ok, I'm done spamming Fukuoka.
by jmarkley rate this post as useful

reply to this thread