Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Difference between -rashii -mitai -ppoi 2010/10/8 14:43
女性らしい
大人っぽい
大人みたい
All these 3 option have the same meaning, wich is "looks like" , what's the difference in Japanese? i think rashii means the "style", not a single thing but something looks like something else in the complex, but i'm not sure..and difference between mitai and ppoi? i thinks these 2 has the same meaning and ppoi is a more colloqual way to say mitai, but also on this point i'm not sure
by japan student (guest)  

..... 2010/10/8 17:10
by Zyzzyva rate this post as useful

oops 2010/10/8 17:14
sorry for double post. the previous thread is about -sou, you, rashii. Mitai is a more casual way of meaning "like", as compared to "you". And "-ppai" is a maybe even more casual way of meaning the same thing? I remember hearing a "sensei-ppai" in an anime before, but otherwise I don't encounter it often.

So there are actually 5 ways of expressing "like" - you, rashii, -sou, mitai, -ppai. It can be rather confusing at the start.
by Zyzzyva rate this post as useful

... 2010/10/8 17:42
女性らしい = as befits a woman. So you would use this to talk about only women. 女性らしい しぐさ (gestures that befit a woman, talking about a woman)

大人みたい = as if he/she were an adult. So you would use it only to describe a non-adult.
男みたい = as if she were a woman. You would say this about a woman who acts like a man.

I agree that "-poi" is a more informal way to say the same as "-mitai" above.
大人っぽい ...would be, for example, a teenager acting as if he/she were a grown-up.
男っぽい ...you would say about a girl/woman acting mannishly.
by AK rate this post as useful

other uses 2010/10/8 18:20
when talking about someone else, you can use -rashii using the -i adjective stem

kawaii 可愛い(cute)
kawairashii 可愛らしい(she/he/they are cute)

otokorashikunai 男らしくない means "unmanly"

also, no gotoku ~の如く can mean "like"
(from my favorite Seikima2 song)
rouningyou no gotoku
蝋人形の如く
(Tr. like a wax doll)
by jmarkley rate this post as useful

reply to this thread