Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Interpretor in Fukuoka 2010/10/9 18:40
I am very interested to visit the Lexus plant in Fukuoka and also got an invitation for it. However, my Japanese is just good enough for daily conversation. I got a private tour, however it is in Japanese. I am a bit worried I wont understand all, especially the techinical expressions. Therefore I sought about an interpretor. I know there are free interpretor groups in Japan offering this service, which would be great. But I dont mind to hire somebody and pay for it if it is a private person and the only option.

Any ideas, recommendations or experiences you can share regarding this issue I am very thankful.
by ybeastieboy  

... 2010/10/10 12:28
You might first want to inquire with the plant - they might have someone (their own inhouse staff members) who can help non-Japanese speaking visitors. They might have a maximum number of visitors per session, so if you bring in a non-employee, that might require another invitation for your interpreter.

Such a visit does require technical knowledge, so a "free" voluntary interpreter might not be sufficient (no offense intended here). Otherwise you need to seek interpreter agency who can locate a local interpreter with technical knowledge. Also as the tour (for the group) is conducted in Japanese, that person needs to be able to do simultaneous interpreting (without asking the guide to stop to wait for the English interpretation, is what I mean).

I see that you are living in Tokyo - please come back to ask for any recommendation again if your inquiry with the plant does not yield any result.
by AK rate this post as useful

agency? 2010/10/10 15:25
Thank you very much. Yes, I am living in Tokyo. As written, it is a private tour and therefore I am the only one with my dad participating. Lexus is not able to offer ann Interpreter, therefore I am more asking if someone knows an agency or free interptetor in Fukuoka itself. The interpreter itself doesnt need to have a specific knowledge in technical terms, just to translate, as my japanese is basic for daily situations. Just an ''normal'' interpretor, he doesnt need to be simultaneous, as it is a private toud, we can stop whenever we want and dont need to watch others needs and wants.

Thank you very much for any help.
by ybeastieboy rate this post as useful

... 2010/10/10 15:40
Sorry I missed the part about this being a private tour. No need to worry then about simultaneous or what, sorry. Still technical familiarity (otherwise they would not know the terms used) would be desirable :)

I know an agency in Tokyo that in the past has assigned an interpreter living in Fukuoka to a job in Kyushu. So if you need to "hire" one for this occasion, please let me know.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread