Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Smoking culture 2010/10/14 02:36
When did Japan become a culture that heavily smokes?

Although I see some gov't policy supporting non-smoking areas, has it really made any difference yet?
by MomotaroPeachBoy  

... 2010/10/15 01:42
The history of tobacco in Japan goes back nearly 700 years and smoking among the general population has been common for over 200 years.

Smoking is on the decline in Japan.
There are half the number of smokers compared to less than 50 years ago and the number continues to decline.

by kyototrans rate this post as useful

Cigarettes 2010/10/15 07:50
As for cigarette prices, Japan just increased prices by about 40% in taxes. Although it's to obviously bring in more tax revenue, the government also stated that it's a public policy decision to help convince people to quit. And by people, they're referring to the poorest people.
by Bean (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/10/15 12:48
It's seem's that it is acceptable everywhere including hospitals, schools and restaurants. I think trains too.
by ME (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/10/15 13:29
No, it is not "acceptable anywhere". There has been a big movement in Japan recently towards increasing non-smoking areas and separating smokers from non-smokers, and while Japan has a way to go, it has made a huge difference.

About a year ago JR East banned smoking on platforms, and several years ago most cities enacted laws banning smoking near stations other than in designated areas.

Restaurants are increasingly banning smoking or properly separating smoking areas. Kanagawa prefecture recently banned smoking in most public areas.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/10/15 20:49
Smoking bans are popping up everywhere.

Taxis, public buildings, bullet trains...
There's even smoke-free pachinko parlors now.

Japan will follow America's example here and continue to increase tobacco taxes as they see that people will continue to smoke regardless and it's an incredible revenue source.

... 2010/10/15 22:48
Well, my (Japanese) husband (in Japan) finally succeeded to stop smoking after 36 years of being a heavy smoker, and he owes it to the cigarette price increase as well as the new medical support system, so I suppose the Japanese society is doing a good job on banning cigarettes (and he is not among the poorest of people).

But although I never really liked cigarettes and was able to easily quit my social smoking years ago, I feel a bit sorry for old-time smokers regardless of the country they live in. It was just a couple of decades ago when there was very little awareness of the so-called "second-hand smoke." The middle-aged generation and older grew up believing that it was totally their business to risk only their own lives by smoking, and now everyone's looking at them like they're total criminals.

20 years ago, you'd be touring Europe crossing boarders, and the non-smoking bus would be practically filled with Americans while the smoking bus would be filled with non-Americans, and you'd choose to ride in the smoking bus just so that you can feel like you're still in Europe :)
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

only America? ;-) 2010/10/15 23:08
kyototrans, are you so sure that's just America's example they are following? NZ and Australia have had very high taxes on tobacco for many years, and I'm sure Japan takes more than one other country into consideration when deciding public policy.

... 2010/10/16 10:22
I have never been to NZ or Australia so I can speak about those countries :-)

You don't have to have been there... 2010/10/16 11:54
I haven't been to California, but I have heard about their anti-smoking regulations. I have also heard that there are strict regulations and high taxes on tobacco in the UK and Ireland as well- just saying that the US isn't necessarily the only role model for social change in Japan, even if they are heading in the same direction.

... 2010/10/16 16:56
That was hardly my suggestion and its quite an inference to read that from such a simple statement.

Americans don't always try to take credit for everything you know ;-)
(just most things... ;-p

reply to this thread