Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Study bachelor degree 2010/10/16 00:17
Can someone study in Japan if he/she can't speak japanese?
I mean getting enough score of TOEFL and study in english. Can I choose japanese as a foreign language and study in English. How many TOEFL score is enough for japanese universities. Thanks all.
by Help me (guest)  

. 2010/10/16 02:12
You can however it will be very limited to the schools in Japan that teach in English only (very very few). Temple University Japan, is an American University in Japan that teaches in English.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/10/16 14:44
How many TOEFL score is enough for japanese universities.

TOEFL score matters if you are going to US universities. Japanese universities are taught in the Japanese language mostly.

If you want to major in the Japanese language, it would be better to attend a university/college outside Japan.
If you want to just learn the language, then you might consider coming to Japan to attend a specialized Japanese language school.
If you want to study a certain subject at a Japanese university, then you might want to consider attending a language school first (normally people study intensively for 1 or 2 years to get to a level sufficient for university studies), then pursuing the subject in Japanese in Japan.

If you want to study in English but in Japan, yes, Temple would be just about the only choice you have.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

but 2010/10/16 18:59
But In Azerbaijan there is a state program that sends students to various countries including Japan. If you have enough TOEFL score. There 25 japanese universities in the list? How can it be? Here is the list
* Tokyo University
* Kyoto University
* Osaka University
* Tohoku University
* Tokyo Institute of Technology
* Nagoya University
* Hokkaido University
* Keio University
* Kobe University
* Waseda University
* Tokyo Metropolitan University
* Kyushu University
* Tsukuba University
* Hiroshima University
* Chiba University
* Kanazawa University
* Nihon University
* Niigata University
* Okayama University
* Tokyo Medical and Dental University
* Yamaguchi University
* Ehime University
* Gifu University
* Gunma University
* Juntendo University
by Help (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/10/16 19:54
Those are all very, very reputable universities in Japan - and I imagine that they "send" you there for a semester or so on an exchange program, not for the whole degree. But I am not familiar with the program that your country has.

English is taught in Japan starting with junior high school (age 13 - 15) throughout senior high school (age 16 - 18), then two years normally mandatory in universities, so you will meet people who can converse with you in English. But it's not that the courses are fully taught in English.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks 2010/10/16 20:16
Thank you for help. I understood that it's hard to study in Japan in English. But this program sends you for 4 years. And pays your fees. But after arrival graduated students will have to work in Azerbaijan in the speciality they studied for 5 years. I wanted to learn if there is any other ways to do it, And I've read in websites of these universities that international students don't have to speak japan. Simple words is enough. There is a free japanese course.

You are right 2010/10/18 09:59
@Help
Yes, you are right with those information above.

Its possible to study in English in Japan but as the other posters mentioned chances/subjects are limited especially in undergrad level. However, for graduate studies the story is different (many English courses/more chances).

There are many ways to get through. 1) through your government or local Japanese Embassy, 2) Apply dirrectly/personally to Japanese Universities

The one you mentioned, I guess, is through your government, which require you to serve for certain years after graduation. Well, if its a concern for you or you wish not to commit, why dont you check out with Old Boys, how strict the condition is? Do you still need to go back even if you are able to find a job in Japan or get into a graduate course in Japan?

Alternative way is to go with Option 2 above. In this case, your list is a good starting point. Check out their English websites, download the forms and apply. Do worry, unlike western universities, most of them need no fees to apply. As for funding, you still can opt for Japanese Government Scholarships or any other international scholarships which you have to indicate in your application package.

As for TOEFL score, see the univesity websites requirement tab. Also browse your local Japanese Embassy site. There should be a guide to foreign students.

Besides Temple (as one poster mentioned), I suggest you check ICU, WASEDA, APU, Sophia for English courses in Undergraduate Level but I am not sure whether you are interested in those subjects.

Be sure about the deadlines. Foreign students usually enter in October Session (there are 2 sessions in a year, other one is April Entry mainly for Japanese students). So you may need to apply/prepare your application package by September or October for October 2011 Entry.

Good luck,
by Sohel (guest) rate this post as useful

H 2010/10/18 18:35
Thank you that was really helpful

reply to this thread