Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What candy to gift a Japanese family? 2010/10/16 19:24
What candy to bring a Japanese friend with kids or a family in general?

All the threads that I have read are old. I would like an updated answer to avoid buying gift that my friends won't be happy with. I want to bring sweets and treats that are not available in Japan.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Almond Joy?
Sour patch?
Rock pops?
Cry babys?
Fruit roll up or foot by the foot?
Any lollipops?
Poptarts?
by xkyuketsuki  

Old maybe, but not out of date. 2010/10/18 16:10
Japanese gift-giving etiquette has not changed one bit in the time this site has been around, so all the info on other threads you have found is still perfectly valid.

Can't help you with the candy you mentioned since I don't know what anything is- we don't have those where I come from, other than lollipops, which you can also get in Japan of course.

With food, something that is a speciality of your country or area is usually the best bet.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/10/18 20:28
If you're planning on giving those to kids, I'd say those are fine.

However, Japanese people always say that sweets from the USA are too sweet. Despite how sweet the cakes and snacks here can be, the perception of sweet seems to be slightly different between Japan and the US so eating those in your list, people here will feel like they are chewing on handfuls of sugar.
Well, the items in your list pretty much are mounds of sugar.

If adults are your intended recipients, you might want to go with something else.
by kyototrans rate this post as useful

. 2010/10/19 04:19
Personally I do not like those super sugary candies. I would get a box of chocolates from a local candy store. From a grocery store, I would get Teddy Graham and/or Goldfish crackers, which I fell in love when they were introduced in Japan twenty something years ago but disappeared soon after. (Did they bring them back?)
by Ikuyo Kuruyo (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/10/19 06:01
Items you listed are too cheap. It's ok to give them to small kids, but not for adults or a family. Give a nice box off See's or Godiva, at least.
by tokyonet (guest) rate this post as useful

Candies 2010/10/19 06:27
I too wouldn't bring candies.
Can you find Finnish chocolates there where you are? There are some very famous Finnish chocolates manufactured by the Finnish chocolate producer called "Geisha" (filled with hazelnuts).
I brought them with me to Japan for my friends and they were all surprised and delighted because it's a Japanese themed chocolate:
http://www.finnstyle.com/geisha-chocolate.html
by Inka (guest) rate this post as useful

candies 2010/10/19 11:02
Since it sounds like the gift is primarily for the kids then what you listed will be fine. I've often brought back a small assortment of US candies for my nieces and they were well received. Don't worry about it being too cheap, as you can just make a nice bag to suit whatever budget you feel is appropriate, and if you want you can throw in something for the adults as well like a small box of chocolates or gourmet lollipops. I also like Ikuyo Kuruyo's suggestions and will try teddy grahams or goldfish the next time I go home.

Anyway, I've actually given almost everything on your list as omiyage at one time or another. Here's my results:

Almond Joy - coconut is very divisive. Some people really like it, others hate it. I probably wouldn't bring it again
Sour patch - were definitely a winner, the kids loved them. Sour gummi worms were also a big hit. I would bring these again.
Rock pops - I'd skip these as pop rocks are readily available in Japan. So are chupa chups and pez for example.
Cry babys - very much like the super lemon type candies available in Japan. The kids enjoyed them and I'd bring them again.
Fruit roll up or foot by the foot - very well received. Fruit leather and bubbletape are also a favorite.
Any lollipops - kids enjoyed charms blowpops while adults liked gourmet lollipops. Dum Dums were also a good idea, but not chupa chups as they are readily available here.
Poptarts - most people didn't like them. I wouldn't bring them again

Note that almost everything can be bought in Japan at specialty stores or by mail order, but they tend to be expensive and uncommon so you're most likely safe bringing them.

By the way, in response to the last poster, I would probably avoid Finnish chocolates unless you have some particular ties to Finland. As Sira said:
With food, something that is a speciality of your country or area is usually the best bet
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread