Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Comments on my long term goals? 2010/10/22 08:08
Hi, it's my first time on this forum so I'd first like to take the opportunity to say hi to everyone here. There's an enormous base of info which I have found extremely helpful.

I'm a 17 year old secondary school student in Canada and am looking to study, work and eventually settle in Japan. I've been to the country twice for extended periods of time and do enjoy the environment; however, I'm not ignorant of the fact that Japan isn't doing so well economically and sociopolitically. After months of contemplation and taking such into consideration, I have made moving to Japan one of my life goals.

Education and job wise, I'm not sure how much of a chance I would stand in the Japanese job market and would like some insight into this from someone actually living there right now. I know Japanese companies prefer native employees (which is why I'm asking). If everything goes according to plan, I do hope to graduate from the University of Toronto with a bachelor's degree in Engineering Science specializing in economics and depending on where life takes me, an MBA at a Japanese (preferably Todai, but perhaps it's a long shot) or Canadian/American university. I am studying Japanese right now and am taking the N4 of the JLPT in December after a year of study, but I can also speak fluent Taiwanese and English (obviously) and decent French, Mandarin, and can understand and speak basic Cantonese. I hope to be able to pass the N1 by the end of university. My GPA is currently sitting at a 3.8.

My super-long term goal is eventually to run for Diet member, but that's way too far in the future to predict, really. Realistically and in the shorter term, I hope to get a job in either engineering or something in business. Perhaps I may fare better applying to openings for multinational companies, but I'm not too sure about that either. And I've heard working visas are difficult to get, citizenship even harder.

Based on the information I've provided above, do you think that I would be able to secure a job and start a decent career in Japan? Thanks!

Oh, and please visit my blog. Although I'm not a citizen of Japan nor Japanese, I do feel strongly about issues and concerns currently facing the country.
http://savingjapan.wordpress.com/

Thanks again!
by hkborntokyoinspired (guest)  

Hey! 2010/10/22 11:35
Hi! So I'm sort of in the same boat as you (16 y/o wanting to move to Japan), so take what I say with a grain of salt (since I am neither Japanese nor living in Japan).

If you can get to Todai for grad, I think that'd be a HUGE help in the Japanese job market. To learn Japanese, I suggest visiting AJATT.com. Also, read a lot about Japanese history and culture. Make your own "Japanese childhood". ^_^

Visas are hard to get (if you don't have a bachelors degree or a company to sponsor you). You can try to get a permanent residence, because it will take many years to become a citizen.

It sounds like you are on a good path, and good luck! I am actually going to start following your blog... sounds interesting! :D Keep working hard...!

Maybe you should purchase a Daruma doll. You have a goal, and color in one eye. Once you complete that goal, you color in the other eye. Place it in a place that you'll see multiple times a day, and it will remind you of your dreams :) that's what I'm doing. I hope to become a successful screenwriter and director.
by Kira (guest) rate this post as useful

Well 2010/10/22 11:59
You have great (as in big) plans, good look on accomplishing them! Obviously the chances of you succeeding are very small (there's only one truly foreign member of parliament in Japan, Marutei... something) but nothing is impossible. Just realize that you're 17 and most people don't cling to the same goals their entire lives (especially not the ones dreamed up in youth). Myself I'm one of those rare cases that fulfilled my dream of moving to Japan and getting a start in the video game industry so I can only wish you best of luck.
by Sally (guest) rate this post as useful

Sounds good for the most part 2010/10/22 12:31
Sounds good for the most part; here's my two (three?) cents:

1. Engineering in Japan is different from engineering in North America (I'm assuming that Canadian engineering is similar to American engineering.) Be prepared for that.
2. If you're applying as an engineering or business student, you'll need to be able to be fluent enough in Japanese to take their entrance exams (think JLPT N1 or so.) Unless you go to an American university like Temple, or enroll in some special program, classes and schoolwork will most likely be completely in Japanese.

And ...
Planning is good and all, but don't get too carried away trying to get to Japan as soon as possible. I know it seems like going to Japan right after graduation seems like perfect timing and all, but life will often throw you a lot of curveballs you don't expect. (If someone had told me where I'd be today three years ago, I would've laughed and told them to get lost.) My advice to you is just study as hard as you can and not to force things; if an opportunity arises that allows you to study/work in Japan, take it. Just don't go about trying to force things to play out the way you dreamed; often times, you'll miss out on a lot of more important things.
by gh6 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread