Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Civil contractor moving to Yokosuka 2010/10/22 13:20
Hello All,

I am a civil contractor moving to Yokosuka in Nov and I am looking for advice, information, opinions, perspective, etc...on housing, furniture and appliances(purchase, delivery and installation) and vehicles. I appreciate any input. Thanx!!!

-J-
by JLS1  

moving 2010/10/23 16:11
If your being transferred here by and American company or US Government they should be able to provide you with all the information you need.
by pete (guest) rate this post as useful

moving 2010/10/23 23:18
Thank you for the response Pete, but the reason I am asking is because my company does not have information on purchasing, delivering or installing any furniture or appliances in Japan.
by JLS1 rate this post as useful

moving 2010/10/24 15:16
information on purchasing, delivering or installing any furniture or appliances in Japan.
Not a problem, delivery and installing is generally free.
by pete (guest) rate this post as useful

Have you tried this site? 2010/10/24 21:46
You can try looking through the forums on Japanbases.com? There's plenty of information on that website for people moving to the Yokosuka area.....
by Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

moving 2010/10/25 02:02
@Pete...do you happen to know the names/location of any of the stores that deliver and install appliances in the home??

@Guest...yes I have visited the site and I am still reading the posts. So far I have not come across any infomation regarding how a civil contractor living off base can get appliances delivered and installed.

ask the stores 2010/10/25 08:02
Buy them from local stores like Muji and Yodobashi Camera/Bic Camera (both electronics stores, not only cameras), or even go to an Ikea branch for furniture, and request delivery when you buy them- it's the norm here since most people either don't have a large car or don't have a car at all. You should find locations of those stores nearest to Yokosuka if you do an internet search.

I have to disagree with one of the above posters- there is usually a small charge for delivery. However it's as easy as going to the stores and filling out a form, not something you have to do a lot of research for.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Gas or Electric??? 2010/10/25 08:19
@Sira...Thank you for the store names...I will look up the stores mentioned and see which ones are near Yokosuka.

Do you know if they provide installation for gas stoves or are they mainly electric??

cooking 2010/10/25 09:16
Gas cook tops are the most common in Japan, although some homes are set up for electric ones. We bought our gas cooker from Yodobashi last year and they installed it for us. You need to let them know who is the gas supplier, what kind of valve your system has and which side of the cooker is closest to the wall/fridge etc.

I'm not sure about ovens if that's what you are thinking since we, like a lot of people in Tokyo, don't have space for one, but I'm guessing they would install those as well.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread