Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

translator/interpreter 2010/10/29 16:57
hi!
i'm looking for some interpreter or translator who can answer to my question:
-it's hard to find a job as translator or interpreter in japan?
-if yes,why?(except the visa stuff,wich is the problem for every foreigner who want to be employed here!)
-is still the bachelor degree a 'must' in japan?
-i'm studying in a senmongakkou in tokyo,after quitting university...you may think i'm crazy to quit university,but the problem is that ...i didn't have any preparation fro the univ(you could get 90% score without studying...the only important thing was attendance)...and there are sooo many university in japan like that...absolutly useless and i didn't want waste my money!
but i know many people here go to univ only to have the piece of paper..
ofc there are also good university,but it's kinda hard to enroll !!

anyway,currently as i said i'm studying in a senmongakkou for translator and interpreter(for instance,i'm studing more here than in university,and i'm improving my skills...)

well,it will be so hard to have an employment later?
even with a spouse visa?

thanks ;)
by alberto (guest)  

... 2010/10/31 12:58
If you are already attending a specialized school to train as interpreter/translator, you should check out with the school what the employment situation is :) Often those schools run temporary staff dispatching business at the same time, and you can get reference from there.

If you have a Spouse visa, you don't need to worry about a bachelor's degree.

Companies very often use temporary staff ("haken shain") for their in-house translator/interpreter positions for a limited time, for example for a project, and the hourly rate tends to be low while they require previous experiences. Because you cannot translate/interpret what you don't know about, you need to gain some work experience in certain industries. Starting with the schools' introduction (that's how I got started years ago) might be the way.
by Anonymous this time (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/10/31 20:57
Qualifications are important but when it comes down to it, what really matters are language skills and field-specific knowledge.

What languages do you plan on working in? The majority of translation work in Japan is Japn. to/from Eng. If neither is your native language, you may find it difficult to make a career in translation in Japan.

Do you want to be an interpreter or a translator? Two completely different jobs and lifestyles and the required skills are quite different. You should try to excel at one or the other.
Many people claim to do both and most of these people do not output good quality in either.

Once you finish school, you could try to get a job at a translation company. There you can learn about the business side and hopefully get exposure to the work of some skilled translators.

Also consider your age and where you are in life. The life of a full-time translator can be boring, without much social interaction compared to a company, and if you are successful you hit a glass ceiling quite early in your career.
Thus, I wouldn't recommend becoming a translator right out of school.

The flip side is that if you are successful, you'll earn more while still having more free time that people your age.

You need to determine the type of lifestyle you want because compared to many jobs, translation/interpreting is a lifestyle as much as it is a career.

by kyototrans rate this post as useful

reply to this thread