Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

visa spouse for overstay? 2010/11/1 04:07
Thanks to read my mail.
I am Egyptian man I was live in Japan I@enter Japan with tourist visa but after the visa finish I stay overstay and in the time (Overstay) I meet my wife (Japanese) and we live together and after short time we married in Japanese & Egyptian way after that I diced with my wife to go immigration to say I am overstay and I need to go back to Egypt because I am overstay but the immigration told me but you already married you can stay and you will take the visa but I sad no I need to go out from Japan and back again with right way and my wife agree about this and@I out from Japan to Egypt and the immigration told me you will be black list one year now I am 6 month out from Japan and 3 month ago my wife went to immigration to have visa for me but the immigration send to here letter no visa for me.
now I want to know I can get the visa after one year or never because I was overstay because I worry about my wife here mode very bad and live alone I know I make mistake to stay in Japan overstay but I went to immigration buy my self . What I can do now?
Please help me and my wife advise me.
Thanks.
by amr ragab ibrahim (guest)  

. 2010/11/1 10:51
wow.. why would you refuse the visa.. and wanna come back the 'right way'

anyway, hopefully you can come back after 1 year... just try again..

maybe someone else has experience to offer.. but.. im thinking you are a bit crazy for refusing the visa.

good luck.
by Reina Jess rate this post as useful

oh 2010/11/1 12:06
dude, you overstayed.... WHY ?? japan really cant tolerate overstaying.

i will be honest, it has REALLY ruined your chances for a spouse visa. immigration will see you as a risk.. in the case of if your wife and you seperate, HOW can they trust you wouldnt overstay when the spouse visa runs out ???

not saying its impossible, but im saying your chances are not as good as somebody with a clean slate. the chances are far worse.
by zuoteng rate this post as useful

. 2010/11/1 13:15
japan really cant tolerate overstaying.

They routinely give out spouse visas to overstayers so they're not as strict as most countries.

What I can do now?

Wait out the one year and apply again. 1 year blacklist means 12 months, not 3.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

^ 2010/11/1 14:51
yeah, but they GAVE him the visa while he was IN japan, and he refused.

and now his OUT of japan, so it wont be easy to offer him the visa again, since they have no obligation to give it to him, since he's out of the country already.

probably even the voluntary 'i wanna leave and come back the right way' doesnt win him points. hahah.

by Reina Jess rate this post as useful

wait, then lawyer 2010/11/1 18:58
I also don't really see what you can do but wait out the one year banning and then apply again. As above, if Immigration says 12 months, they mean 12 months.

It would probably also be a very good idea to hire an Immigration lawyer at that time to try to present your case for you in as positive light as possible.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

no 2010/11/2 00:47
you're banned for at least a year, even hiring an immigration won't get around it.

dumb dumb dumb. what were you thinking?
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

Overstay 2010/11/2 04:43
I don't want to be too fast to condemn the actions because I don't know the surrounding circumstances. Maybe the newlywed couple could not bear the thought of staying apart and he took that risk. When it comes to the matter of the heart, our brain can't win!!

Good luck and hope you get your visa after the probationary period.
by Japan Traveller (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/11/2 06:49
When Immigration feels that you - overstayer or not - have genuinely married for love and not for the purpose of staying/working here, they often grant Spouse visa as special cases. Since unfortunately you declined it, you are subject to the one-year ban from entering Japan. So now all you can do is to wait out the whole one year, and then apply again.

I must admit it would have been better to have stayed in Japan (by now Japanese Immigration does not really try to kick out someone married to a Japanese AND being in Japan), but that was your decision then. The "right way" now is simply to wait out the one year. Good luck with everything!
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

after the ban.... 2010/11/2 12:56
winterwolf, I meant to hire a lawyer after the one year ban is up- that's what I meant by "at that time". I also think that the chances here of getting the spouse visa are low, and probably close to non-existent without the help of a lawyer.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

good luck 2010/11/2 15:40
Very tricky.
I agree that a lawyer is a good option - and a lawyer who know Japan / Japanese well.
Other things you may want to consider to include to support your application.
A letter explaining briefly why you decided to go back to Egypt - maybe there is a procedural or cultural misunderstanding that that would help explain to them why you rejected the visa in the first place.
Letter from your wife in Japanese explaining the situation asking for your application to be considered.
If possible a letter from her parents saying that they support you coming.
IF you have former employees (though not if you were working illegally) letters from them.
Anyone else that may have credibility in the eyes of the Japanese govt. and ask them to to write a letter supporting your application is genuine.

Keep calm, and be persistent but always respectful and polite. It can be easy to get frustrated and impatient. It will not help you at all if you do. Remember to say thank you if there is anything they say or do that is helpful / understanding - even thanking them for their time - sound dumb but I had a visa drama when inviting a Russian friend to visit. Attitude makes a big difference.

I also suspect there is not much scope for negotiation until one year is up.
by girltokyo (guest) rate this post as useful

overstay=very high crime in Japan 2010/11/3 03:56
As I understood, they ( the immigration ) told him to wait and he will get visa. I personally know people who were overstayed, then got married to japanese, and were waiting for a spouse visa around 2 years!! and during that time were constantly checking by immigration officers.
By saying " I wanted to to this right way " I understand " I had to come back to my home country now" for some reason or another. Either way he is out of Japan, and will not be easy to come back, just because he was overstayed once.
by melody (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread