Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Running away to Japan? 2010/11/2 08:24
Hello.
I'm pretty sure similar questions have been asked, and I've been thoroughly reading up on questions already answered - but I felt that I'd like to post something myself for answered geared specifically to my situation.
I will keep an open mind as well as any harsh criticism,if any; and I thank you for your time!
First off - I'm 21 years old. I am currently a community college student, general studies major. I don't know if they're bullshitting me, but I've been told my Japanese is very good.
I'd like to improve my Japanese to a more advanced level, for job situations in business or teaching, but I do communicate okay. I use Japanese everyday, sometimes I speak more Japanese than English with friends I have over there - none of which speak English.
What do I want to do exactly?
I want to save up money to cover my ticket, enough money to keep me solid for awhile; I want to pack as little as possible and hop on a flight over to Tokyo.
Once in Tokyo I would like to find a job. Since I have not finished school I'm not exactly 'qualified' in any way for certain jobs, but the kind of job I am looking for is a basic "part time" job that I'd be working full time - and better yet, one that I can use my ability to speak both Japanese and English to my benefit. I'm currently studying Mandarin Chinese in school; so maybe by the time I'm over there I'll have that under my wing too.
I'm not looking to get loaded, or even live 'comfortably'. My only desire is to go over to Japan and find a job that can be enough for me to pay for my rent and basic necessities. I'm alone, so a cheap semi apartment would be fine.
So yeah - enough money for ticket and for rent for awhile.
Currently I have a few friends living in Tokyo that offered me a place to stay until I can get myself settled in; but in case of emergencies I am trying to factor in the possibility that I might be living out of a common motel or something for awhile -- just in case.
I'm not sure how long I want to stay in Japan, but at the very least; I have no desire to come back to America for awhile.
I have lived in Japan for one year before, during a high school exchange program.

Now I'm sure some of you will tell me I should probably finish school and what not first and make my way in through a student VISA through a program or something -- something I've looked into, and have gathered plenty of information on - and will always be another option I will consider; but I wanted to learn more about 'running off', which is why I'm asking.
The school I was looking into getting into was Temple University Japan.
Currently my GPA and my school transcript is a joke - needless to say I spent a year off from college and the rest of the time partying. I've only just started to be 'serious' (Not that I wasn't before, but I didn't know what I wanted to do so ultimately I ended up not doing anything at all.)
It's not just the anxiety of wanting to get out of New York, out of this country -- I generally want to feel like I have to work a lot harder to survive, on my own. And yes. It'll be hard - I know. But hard doesn't frighten me...
So my initial plan was to better my transcript and apply to TUJ, which is nice and all; but I'm skeptical about the money ($30,000 first year) for the tuition. Skeptical as in, my mother is willing to pay for any of my school expenses but she has seemingly become very doubtful concerning any studying abroad. Mostly because she's not sure I'm serious about making a place for myself somewhere far enough where she can't keep a direct eye on me. A reasonable thing, but I'm not a minor anymore. The fact that I have to rely on my parents for my tuition makes me feel childish...I want to get out and work on my own.
I'm more than 100% positive if my mother sees that I can go off to Japan, keep up a job and a place of my own all by myself, she'll have no problems paying for TUJ. If I can't make it, then well -- I guess I am not as determined as I think I am.
Working in Japan will also help me with my Japanese -- and perhaps through networking I can find better working situations. Eventually, I want to get into a Tokyo school (TUJ being my top choice) - and if for some reason my mother ends up still not wanting to pay for tuition, then I guess I'll be saving up money for something more than just rent.
I also understand I may return home sooner than I'd plan -- but I'm fine with that, because things happen; and plans don't go over as nicely as you'd like.
My point is, I want to do this no matter what, even if it's a completely stupid idea to spontaneously live in a foreign country with nothing but some money and the clothes that I can carry, I want to be as smart as possible about it.
I know it would be much easier to stay here, continue with school until I feel comfortable applying to TUJ and see how it goes from there --
but I want to get out sooner than that. However, if by the time it takes me to save up enough money that I will go, I have done enough schooling to apply to TUJ, I will do that.
Basically which ever comes first.
If I get enough money before I can apply, then once I've secured the move I will probably go.
I don't know how naive it sounds to say that I don't care about living in a small room, working a hard job for barely enough money, and essentially pulling myself from my comfortable life here in America to toss myself into what would be the unknown chaos of being a young college student with an unimpressive school record (All due to absences, not academic ability. Unfortunately the grades are what they are.)
I don't know how long my 'plan' will work, how long I can survive. But I want to try anyway, and I feel more motivated than waiting around here going to 'school' when I feel that I'm not living 'hard enough'.

That being said, any information would really be appreciated - especially legal matters, as in; what would the maximum amount of time be for me to stay, which VISA might be best for me to look into, etc - Just really any thoughts or helpful tips to make my very stupid and spontaneous decision as safe as smooth as I can make it go.
If I manage to make it over to Japan, my worst thought would to be absolutely unable to get money to pay for a home. (Though like I said, my friends will take me in.) ...Or getting killed. Haha.
Not that I think that I'm going to get killed over there, just saying -- the worst possible scenario for me would be to be dead.
Even if it becomes hard or stressful, I want to try and work at it anyways.
The way I am here at home, feels like it's way worse.
Lastly - concerning 'better' jobs through VISA sponsorship and all that;
I'm assuming these jobs are based mostly on your work resume and your educational background.
I have really nothing of either (to show for on paper or otherwise) --
but are any of these jobs obtainable based just on your actual fluency in Japanese or English?
If that's the case, then if I constantly work on my Japanese, would it be possible to secure a VISA sponsorship?
Thanks again,
Sami.
by samibabychu  

working visa 2010/11/2 09:40
Since I have not finished school I'm not exactly 'qualified' in any way for certain jobs

The major hitch in your plans is that you do not qualify for any type of visa that would allow you to stay long term in Japan. Specifically without a bachelor's degree you do not qualify for a work visa. So unless you reconsider entering Japan as a student, then the best you will be able to do is come over on a 90 day tourist visa.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

I thought so. 2010/11/2 09:49
I mostly considered the 90 day visa, but the problem with that is not being able to work.
I don't want to advertise anything illegal, but for a common job as I do stay there for 90 days, do you know if it's as common in Japan? In America, even for American citizens people often work "off the books", for other reasons, whether they be minors working part time or something etc.
I know I'd probably be working more than one job, if that were the case - it was actually my Japanese friends that suggested I try going there for a little.
The main purpose of this trip is not to settle down in Japan, but simply for the experience itself and to make an impression on my Mother. (That I am serious about studying language[s])
College is very important to me, but really I have no money of my own (Not to pay for TUJ's tuition, at least) ...and as ashamed as I am to admit it, I really need the support of my parents.
I believe the 90 day VISA would be an acceptable amount of time to show my motivation to her.
The reason why I want to take this trip is not only for experience, but because I am currently a General Studies Major and in the long run the classes I am taking/the Major I will switch to all depends on whether or not I am going to go to TUJ or not.
If I'm going to be staying in America for an extended amount of time (For school) I will probably take a different route with what I am studying. But if I know I can go to TUJ (Money wise. I'm not so concerned about getting enrolled, but if I happen not to, then I will find other means to study abroad)...
I hope that clarifies a little what I want to do.
I've lived in Japan for one year before, and ironically I was just as naive as many others before I went, and ending up hating the country up until I was going to leave and had picked up on the language.
So -- now that I consider the 90 day VISA, the matter directs a bit towards the truth about being able (or unable) to work while there.
Thank you for your swift reply. :)
by samibabychu rate this post as useful

Tourist VISA 2010/11/2 10:12
Okay.
I took a look at the 90 day VISA procedure.
I'm assuming one of my friends shall be one of the people to 'invite' me.
The best thing would be to find a copy of the VISA procedure in Japanese? I'm pretty sure they are clueless about this kind of thing, as none of them have ever gone over seas before. When I first mentioned it it took me a few to realize they thought I was talking about Visa (Credit Card www )
The 90 day VISA seems the most ideal for my purpose.
However, I'd rather not impose on my friend[s] for three months. Even if I couldn't work, is it possible to rent a place for three months during my stay?
Hasn't anyone gotten a tourist VISA before who wanted to just solo in Japan for three months - what process did you go through? Did you have a contact in Japan?

Thanks again.

foreigner apartments 2010/11/2 10:45
For short term rentals it is very difficult to get a normal apartment as most places have a 2 year contract and you need to pay a lot up front for deposit key money etc, (that would work out a little expensive If you break the contract after only 3 months!)
In this case your only option might be "foreigner apartments" (makes me cringe everytime...sounds like an apartheid I know, but Japan actually needs this system because the housing industry is rife with racial discrimination)

anyway...

Leo Palace have monthly apartments...
http://en.leopalace21.com/

also

Sakura House if you dont mind sharing a kitchen and bathroom...
http://www.sakura-house.com/
by gilesdesign (guest) rate this post as useful

Three months! 2010/11/2 10:58
Thank you! The 90 day VISA seems best for me.
I was looking into the Cultural VISA, which sounds great for six months and being able to get a work permit --
I don't know how common it is to work off record for part time jobs? (i.e bar, restaurant, that sort of thing.)
A monthly place would be perfect, seeing as I won't be staying so long.
I'm feeling much better about this idea thanks to everyone's input --
As for the Cultural VISA, do you know what constitutes eligibility for it? Only in the past, during highschool did I study Japanese and then go to Japan for a year. I've only been studying it independently since then - would this work?
Also, for the Tourist VISA, has anyone applied for one and gotten it with as little planning as possible (For the section detailing what you will do in Japan...)
Like I said, I just want to plan my own trip and do my own thing, on my own money and my own choices. I do have friends I plan to visit, and perhaps hang out with often if that's the case.
I read someone where someone was working on a tourist visa for 5 years (They kept on leaving and coming back after three months)...so I guess off record work is doable after all.
Any more living options for three months would be ideal!
Sami

visa 2010/11/2 11:42
I took a look at the 90 day VISA procedure.
I'm assuming one of my friends shall be one of the people to 'invite' me.
The best thing would be to find a copy of the VISA procedure in Japanese?

Assuming you are a US citizen (your profile says you live in New York) you don't need to apply for a visa. Just show up in Japan and you will be granted a 90 day temporary stay. Its called the visa waiver program in case you want to look up more about it.

Hasn't anyone gotten a tourist VISA before who wanted to just solo in Japan for three months - what process did you go through? Did you have a contact in Japan?

US citizens get an automatic 90 visitors visa regardless if they will stay for a shorter duration. You don't need a contact in Japan.

I was looking into the Cultural VISA, which sounds great for six months and being able to get a work permit... do you know what constitutes eligibility for it? Only in the past, during highschool did I study Japanese and then go to Japan for a year. I've only been studying it independently since then - would this work?

I don't think cultural visas apply to language study. Instead you could either get a student visa to study at a language school, or if you will study less than 90 days then you could just reside on a temporary visitors visa.

I don't know how common it is to work off record for part time jobs? (i.e bar, restaurant, that sort of thing.)

It is illegal and highly discouraged.

I read someone where someone was working on a tourist visa for 5 years (They kept on leaving and coming back after three months)...so I guess off record work is doable after all.

This is a huge red flag that immigration will definitely pick up on. Generally speaking they won't let you stay more than 180 days per year in Japan on a tourist visa. You may be able to reenter once, but you will most likely be stopped, questioned, and possibly denied entry the third time. Regardless of the problem of getting a job in the first place, working while on a tourist visa is simply not a good idea.

visas etc 2010/11/2 12:53
"Reading somewhere about someone who..." is not a reliable source of information. While it does seem like some people might have got away with that kind of thing a few decades ago, as mentioned above, you would almost certainly be sent back home if you tried coming back after two back to back 90 day stays in a single year- there is now a pretty strictly-enforced unwritten rule of 180 days as a tourist in Japan in any given year.

I can confirm that if you are a US citizen you do not need (in fact most likely cannot get) an actual tourist visa- you will be given 90 days on arrival, automatically, like nationals of other developed countries.

Just to save you some pressing of the shift button, there is no need to capitalise "visa" at all- this seems to be something that some people do unconsciously, no doubt influenced by the credit card logo ;-)

Also as mentioned above, your only option would seem to be a student visa, as you need a bachelor's degree if you want to stay in Japan long-term. Then you would need to finish that degree if you want to stay in Japan longer.

Illegal immigrants and under the table work are far less common here than in the US, and any employer who would give you a job would have to be extremely dodgy- you would be in a very risky position as far as being blackmailed or at best not paid what you were promised- with no recourse to legal help.

The police also raid bars and other establishments where foreigners are known to work to do visa checks quite often, and if you were caught you could probably kiss goodbye to any chance of ever qualifying for a long-term visa here- why take that chance?
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/11/2 20:12
Sami,

- It is illegal to work on Temporary Visitor status, so please don't even think about it.
- Employers, even if they somehow liked your skills, cannot sponsor you for a work visa and hire you because you lack both (a) a bachelor's degree and (b) several or more years of working experience in the relevant field.
- Cultural visa is for someone who have mastered cultural skills - art, martial arts, etc. to a very high level already, and wants to study further under a "master" in Japan for example.
- So the only choice I can see is that you enrol in a college in Japan or a specialized language school full-time, and get a student visa that allows you to work part-time (up to 20 hours a week, I believe) just to help with living expenses just a bit.
- To be eligible for a student visa, you need to be able to show that you can support yourself during the course of your studies without working in Japan - to cover for tuition and living expenses, etc.

All in all, unless you've got a bachelor's degree to begin with, things can be pretty tough. Japan is no place where you just pack and move to.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/11/2 20:30
On top of all the above reasonable replies to your post, I'd like to add that if you're found working illegally, you'll get deported then you'll be banned for a long time - five years at least - from entering Japan.
Do come to Japan under a proper visa and get work permit.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Lalala 2010/11/3 04:36
As ... says, trying to work without a proper VISA will get you deported and barred from Japan for a long time. Also note that before you get deported, you can be held for 30 days without charge. This isn't nice, considering you'll be in a stone cell and get a nice single bowl of rice for dinner every day.

You'll find it very hard to get work as an illegal, since a) those types of jobs aren't widely available and advertised, b) people looking for illegal workers usually go for Chinese and Filipinos and c) if you try to approach anyone they'll probably report you to the police since you're a foreigner.

Please also note, that whatever reasons you have to "run away" to Japan (family stuff, unpopular, no friends, ladies don't go for you, your home country sucks, blah blah blah) won't go away just because you've gone to your wonderful dream country, Japan. You'll soon find your internet friends won't have much to do with you, since they probably currently only see you as some funny foreign guy that they get to chat to online, and just because you're foreign won't make you popular with the girlies.

In summary, working illegally is stupid, running away from your problems is even more stupid.
by Don't be silly (guest) rate this post as useful

Not being silly? 2010/11/3 05:15
Hello! Thank you everyone for the information.
It is very helpful and I'm sure I'll have things going smoothly because of it.
I'd like to clarify some things, though --
Firstly, I am not trying to run off and move to Japan. The reason why I used ''running away'' meant more of going to Japan with no real plan at all. Sure there are a few places/people I plan to see -- but all in all it isn't for work or school (Aside from visiting some schools in person to gather information)...I just want to go to Japan for a bit and not really engage in the ''tourist'' behavior. That sort of thing doesn't interest me - aside from Tokyo, as I lived in a very small town by the name of Shingu.
As the thread progressed and I learned more, I guess you didn't notice that I began to tailor my plan as things went along.
Ultimately, it seems visiting for 3 months only would be ideal and best for the purposes I have. I am not running away from any problems, I want to go to Japan, and so I will go. When I return home, I'll have a better understanding of the direction I want to go with with my schooling. I also want to take this trip on my own, on my own money, without any help from anyone else.
Also, I have a few internet friends, but most of the contacts I have are people I have either lived with or been sponsored/friends with during high school.
So, I don't want you to misunderstand that I am meeting people I have not met before, or know very little of.
I have very important okaasan and otousan to visit as well as my friends. I intended to return when I was 20 but it will be this year instead.

The only reason I ask about the job is because, really I would of loved to have a part time job in Japan. Asking about it and giving examples which may or may not seem reliable sources is only because I want to be in full understanding of what is and isn't allowed. It is not because I want to do something stupid, but because I do not want to make any mistakes. So maybe I sound silly to you, but I rather be silly and learn information than end up in a bad situation!
And ps to you don't be silly I am a female! I don't know what you're trying to imply but the only problem I have in my life right now is that I want to plan my own trip back to see my friends and a country I didn't appreciate the first time around.
I was only 17 at that time and I really didn't like Japan and wanted to come back to America, because I thought New York was so much better, but as I got older I realized I should of tried to enjoy it sooner than I had.
Is wanting to visit a foreign country so silly or stupid?
I don't like to think so. Even if you think I am silly I know I will still be happy to take a trip that I want to take. I still plan on returning to Japan after transfering to a college there, but even before then I want to visit and be sure I want to head in that direction with my studies.
I don't think 3 months is a very long time honestly, but like I said I don't want to get in trouble or do something 'stupid' ...even if it's stupid I want to go to Japan, sorry.
I'm very fond of America, not trying to run away from anything...I just mean I want to go to Japan simply to visit the country not as a tourist.
Otherwise, hope I have been clear and I thank you all for sound advice and trying to help me not make the wrong choices!

What are these language schools you mention?
And sorry about VISA www I am just used to shifting it because of my jp friends..silly me!

Silly people rule 2010/11/3 05:30
it also bother me you assume I must be some foreign guy with no ladies or something, what is that about?
Is Japan where people who are depressed go to? What are you trying to say ...

I live essentially a happy life, but I'd just like to return to Japan for a little...I want to perfect my Japanese and such - what's the deal? ww really, please don't be so typical when generalizing about people!
Even if Japan WAS my dream country (And my dream country btw, is my home. Home sweet home I guess?) ...what's so bad about that?
People love Japan, who cares the reason. Who cares if I'm a cute american girl of asian descent or a lonely boy with no ladies and primarily an otaku.
I personally not into that scene, but still. Should not be calling people silly just because they have a dream, or things they'd like to do. People come to this website with a common interest do they not? Is it not JAPAN-guide? Hmm...
Just saying.
Anyways, if it's all still silly - fine, I'm silly. Maybe that's why I'm a 'samibabychu'.
Sami

... 2010/11/3 07:17
Sami,
It's just that "being on a Temporary Visitor status" and "part-time work" simply don't go together :) Of course if you simply want to visit (visiting friends, etc.) Japan for 3 months or so, that is fine.

"Language schools" - there are schools where you can enrol to study just the Japanese language. They are intended for non-native speakers of the Japanese language who want to gain proficiency, be it in order to get accepted in a Japanese university or to help with their career prospects. I just thought you might be interested. They run 1 year, 1.5 years, or 2 years normally, but you can take a short course or just one semester.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

don't be silly 2010/11/3 07:22
What Don't Be Silly is saying is that your thread started off a lot like the dozens of threads that are posted every month by people with rose colored glasses on that want to escape to their idealized vision of Japan. I'll have to admit that that is how I initially read your question as well as your initial questions had that naive sound that is common on those other people's threads, but I'm glad to see through the progression of the thread that that is not the case. It sounds like you are developing a coherent plan to visit Japan for a few months and get some direction for where you want to go from there.

living overseas 2010/11/3 08:13
It is certainly not silly to want to travel to another country= I always wanted to live in another country, so as soon as I graduated university I left my own country and started travelling, studying and working overseas. By the time I was 26 I had visited/lived in more than 30 countries, and I have settled in Japan.

What could be seen as silly is not having a plan when you want to remain in a country long-term- it just doesn't happen these days without a lot of preparation, documentation, and usually funds as well. You must also qualify to live long-term in that country- note I didn't leave my home country until I finished my bachelor's degree, even though I had been desperate to travel since my early teens. You are very lucky that you have already had the chance to spend some time in Japan!

What is definitely silly (and I think you've realised now) is even thinking about breaking immigration laws in the country you want to go to- if caught and your passport is blackmarked this can affect your chances of living/travelling overseas to any country for the rest of your life- really not a sensible option.

I hope you enjoy your stay in Japan when you come and that you will find a legal way of staying longer at some point :-)
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

honestly 2010/11/3 15:52
i have read and analysed the topic and replies and im going to be straight to the point here.

if you are uncool and discriminated in your home country, when you come to japan you will be even more uncool and get discriminated more also.

too many anime kids have a false impression of japan.

by the way im a half japanese living in tokyo. i fit in fine, but i have seen a lot of others who dont, and its always the people you KNOW are uncool in their home country.
by zuoteng rate this post as useful

reply to this thread