Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What does it mean? - eekakkou 2010/11/11 02:56
Mina-san, I need your help again.

I've got no idea what it might mean. A woman says to a man:
「一人でエエカッコウするなんて、あんたは卑怯だ」

"You are so mean/coward/unfair, you..."

The context may be of help: the man is ready for the bankruptcy and offers the woman to break up. He wants to face the responsibility alone and wants her to be free. I guess she tells him something like "Don't you dare acting alone" but I would like to know the exact translation.

Thanks in advance.
by Yana (guest)  

... 2010/11/11 08:52
「一人でエエカッコウするなんて、あんたは卑怯だ」

In this case, he is facing all responsibility and letting her go free - he is getting to play the "good guy," earning all the merit for being such a generous, good-hearted guy - playing it cool - AND giving her no room to be good to him, in a way. That's the part she is calling him "hikyou" for - not "cruel," but "cunning" or "shrew."

- You are a shrew, trying to making only yourself look so cool.
by AK rate this post as useful

alternate interpretation 2010/11/11 10:14
@OP, Thx for providing the context, helps a lot cuz a lot of ppl just ask "translate plz".

I like AK's version above, but I'd like to suggest another:

「一人でエエカッコウするなんて、あんたは卑怯だ」
"You're a coward, going off alone putting on airs (acting cool/tough/like a hotshot)."

In this case "coward" could mean that rather than face the challenge together, him acting on his own is unfair or cruel (to her personally) for not wanting her around even if it means sharing a burden with him.
by jmarkley rate this post as useful

eekakkou 2010/11/11 10:25
If your question is mainly asking what does "eekakkou" mean, then that's simpler.

"eekakkou" means to put on airs, act cool, and other similar behavior. Similar to "kakkou o tsukeru" (sum1 plz confirm)

"ee" = "ii" or "good" in Kansai dialect (more below)
"kakkou" = "image" or "look"

Don't confuse with "kakkouii" which means (looks) cool.
But I personally use "eekakkou" when criticizing something/someone just like in the OP's original sentence.

Other uses of Kansai-ben's "Ee":
Mou ee! - "That's enough!"
Ee kanji - "Looks good!"
Sendemo ee (ya/yo)! - (Shinakutemo ii (yo)!) "You don't have to!"
Ee naa... - Sounds nice...(with a hint of envy)

Thank you! 2010/11/15 19:45
AK-san, jmarkley-san, thank you very much for your help! Now I see.

Kore-kara mo yoroshiku onegaishimasu.
by Yana (guest) rate this post as useful

You're welcome 2010/11/16 13:03
Don't touch your mustache!
...(Douitashimashite)...=)

reply to this thread