Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Marriage in Japan with foreigner 2010/11/17 13:18
Hello, I'm here in Japan with a tourist visa and got recently married (here in Tokyo) with a Korean girl who has a business visa (3 years). Before moving back to my homeland we need to stay here for another 3-4 months so I have to apply for a marriage/spouse (or anything) visa.

In order to do so, is the marriage certificate got by the kuyakusho enough or do I need also the marriage registration certificate from my and my wife's homeland?

Thank you very much.
by buri84  

Spouse Visa needs JP Spouse 2010/11/17 22:38
If I am recalling correctly from the following page: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2221.html

I believe that a spouse visa in Japan may require a Japanese spouse or one of you need to get permanent residency...
by DemonicDerek rate this post as useful

... 2010/11/17 22:44
As far as I know, you are eligible for Dependent status.

So have you gotten married in Japan according to Japanese law? If so, whatever certificate that the Japanese authorities issues is enough to prove your marriage.
by AK rate this post as useful

. 2010/11/18 03:55
As mentioned you only get a "SPOUSE" status if you are married to a Japanese person.

Instead for this case you would get a "DEPENDENT" status.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread