Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

US Credit Card to JP bank 2010/11/18 19:29
Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to get money from my US credit card to my JP bank account... I went to the JP bank and they can't do it, went to the post office and nothing, I also can't seem to get it to work on Japanese shopping sites.

It's a VISA card from my US bank that the bill still goes to my parents. They are going to buy me a new camera (limit of $200) and I found one online that I can get for that price. However, the JP site won't take american credit cards, so I need to get $200 from the card via cash advance... although none of the banks in my area/the post office are able to do that for one reason or another. I called my bank and they said I should be able to do it, but I can't because my JP bank has no relations with Associated bank...

Any ideas on how to get money out of my credit card and into my pocket/bank account in Japan?

Paypal is a no-no because when I transferred money from my American bank account through them the first time they took $120 from me through various shady means... I can't trust them anymore.
by DemonicDerek  

... 2010/11/19 09:42
One option would be to use the credit card to purchase gift certificates from a department store like Takashimaya.

Then take the gift certificates to a convenience store (like Lawsons) that sells BitCash (e-money).

Then you should be able to use the BitCash for whatever you want. Just check first for the types of e-money you can use.
by kyototrans rate this post as useful

. 2010/11/19 09:53
Is it worth all the trouble? Find another store. I've never had my US credit card rejected except at yahoo auctions.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/11/19 09:55
- You should be able to "withdraw" cash at a post office ATM, if you have your 4-digit PIN and your bank has been informed that you would be overseas.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2208.html

- I wonder why the website here does not take your credit card for payment - it comes with Visa logo, correct?

- I don't think you can "transfer" money from your Visa account to a Japan Postal bank account directly.
by AK rate this post as useful

PIN? 2010/11/19 12:09
If you have a PIN number, take your card to a Citibank ATM and select "cash advance". As above you might be able to use PO ATMs as well.

I have never heard of being able to use a credit card to deposit money directly into a Japanese bank account, so if you don't have a PIN on your card I'd say you need to look at another way for your parents to get money to you- maybe they can send you traveller's cheques.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

wire transfer 2010/11/19 13:30
If you are talking about a cash advance from a credit card you know the interest charge, usually high, starts right away. Why can't your parents transfer funds from their bank to your Japanese bank? It probably won't cost more than paying the interest on a cash advance....just an idea....
by Maranyc (guest) rate this post as useful

cards 2010/11/19 15:22
I have heard of all kinds of issues with receiving wire transfers from overseas banks in Japan. If there is already a credit on the card (i.e.someone has deposited money in there for you so nothing will be owing), there is no interest on a cash advance- it's more like a withdrawal in that case.

. 2010/11/19 23:54
Taking cash out of a credit card will incur cash advance fees up the ying yang, so any savings on the camera might be negated.

What website are you trying to use? It should be able to accept the credit card.

by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

US Credit Card on JP website = NO 2010/11/20 09:18
On a site that accepted credit cards with the Visa logo I tried to charge it and the card wouldn't go through, changed my address to a Japanese address... still not allowed. Tried to use verified by VISA, still not allowed, contacted the website... ''Japanese credit cards only'' was their response.

I asked my mom to just deposit $200 into my banking account and I could wire it from there but she was like ''Why don't you just charge it at a shop?'' and I was like ''Well, I would if I could, but there are no electronic shops out in super super country side of Japan (Aomori-ken, Rokkasho village) and I don't have the time to visit electronic shops while traveling because our time schedule is always booked full.''

So yeah, I mean if I lived in an area that was even a slight bit more urban (We don't have a train station nor any bus stops... everyone drives) I might be able to use my credit card, but as it looks I'm not going to be able to really use it... :(.
by DemonicDerek rate this post as useful

cards 2010/11/20 10:55
I have also come across websites here which only accept Japanese credit cards.

Citibank's cash advance fee was 500 yen I think, so not a huge amount, although it's possible your home country bank charges a fee too. Since you are in such a rural area though, if the PO ATMs don't accept your card, I'm guessing there aren't any Shinsei or Citibank ATMs around.

7-11 2010/12/2 03:50
In my opinion, the easiest way is to take it to an ATM at a 7-11. It will work with almost all cards from the USA and you can get a cash advance. I did it a couple times when I was in a pinch and had no issues.
by twentytwo rate this post as useful

reply to this thread