Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Singing lessons: Japanese style 2010/12/5 08:16
I was told that singing is practiced universally but it's clearly different. In Japanese, scooping is more commonly added and is not considered a 'bad' singing trait. In fact it seems like the more popular the artist, the more I hear them scoop to the next note. Also, the vibrato speed on average is slower than the typical vibrato I hear in English.I was hoping I could find the source of the reason it is so different from the 'classical' way of singing. Maybe it roots from traditional Japanese singing? should I seek my answers there?
so basically, my questions are:
1. Is there a source that teaches Warm ups/singing lessons/vibrato tips for the Japanese style of singing?
2. Is it considered a good feat. to scoop on notes? Ex. Ayumi Hamasaki the word ''Ho-un-to-ou'' from Dearest is scooped. Because when I hear a collaboration of singers the more amateur ones tend to scoop less.
by Decorachii  

just plain BAD 2010/12/9 16:17
I'm not sure about scooping in particular but the short answer is Japanese singing in popular music is just plain BAD!
There are many areas in which japan excels : visual arts(manga anime), food, product design etc,
popular music (J pop) is not one of them. Don't attack for Japan bashing, I love this country just not its music. I have tried so many times to like J pop, and I like a lot of other foreign music so it is not because it is not western, I can appreciate everything from indian bangra to an african chant even the odd bit of K pop.

To some extent this is just subjective but then some things like production quality, singers hit off notes when sing live etc...you end up at the conclusion maybe J pop singers cant sing and the music is bad.
When you consider the fact that J pop artists are chosen mostly on basis of looks rather than any musical ability then maybe it is the system that pumps out rubbish. "Tarento" are expected to be models, dancers, singers, comedians and tv presenters all rolled into one so obviously more often than not you end up with a jack of all trades master of none.

Even compared to those talent shows like x factor and american idol that we all love to hate, at least the contestants can sing.

This is an interesting article in metropolis about same subject
http://metropolis.co.jp/features/the-last-word/does-j-pop-suck/
by gilesdesign (guest) rate this post as useful

It's a matter of opinion... 2011/1/16 09:51
I really do appreciate the response, however I was asking for information on singing in the Japanese style regardless of how 'bad' it may be to some people, I am particularly interested in it and would like a genuine informative response about the history of it's roots. Japanese music is unlike any other country's music and that in itself makes me want to learn all I can about it.
by Decorachii rate this post as useful

reply to this thread