Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Christmas gift issue 2010/12/7 08:21
Hello,
I have a little problem with a Japanese boy. We're not dating but everybody thinks he's interested in me and in one e-mail I asked him for his address, so that I could send him a card (he said he didn't really celebrate Christmas before). He replied saying that he's excited to get me a Christmass present but he hasn't experience with picking stuff for a girl and asked me what would I like to receive, and that I shouldn't worry about the money - that he'd be happy to buy me something expensive. Since I thought it'd be rude to request something, I was thinking about replying that I'm really happy about his generous offer and that anything's fine for me.
And I was thinking about sending him a hand-made notebook with collages, quotes, pictures etc. in return since he seemed to use paper notebooks a lot even though he had a laptop organizer and he was interested in art. Do you think a hand-made thing would be OK? I'm not worried about the quality, selling handmade crafts is my side job, I just don't know if such a thing is appropriate.
Thank you!
by Mary (guest)  

... 2010/12/7 10:37
Every handmade thing I have every received from a girl was a prelude to dating/a relationship.

I think it's great if you like him but understand that handmade things tend to have deeper meaning so make sure your intentions (or lack there or) are clear to you and the guy.
by kyototrans rate this post as useful

. 2010/12/7 15:36
Are you interested in him? If you are then create something to your heart's content. If not, don't send him the wrong idea. Just a card with a candy cane that says a simple "Merry Christmas".
I'm curious if he just came from Japan to your country or if you went to Japan and met him that way. Or if he has been living in your country for some time.
It's important to know that in Japan, Chirstmas is seen as a second Valentine's day, rather than the holiday to spend with family and friends. There's a big emphasis on dating for Christmas here. Most families don't celebrate together or take time off for it and the children get only 1 to 3 presents each. The reason is because New Year's is seen as the holiday to spend with your family and has been before Christmas arrived. The children also get money on New Year's, which is why they don't get a lot of presents.

It might be a good idea to send him a New Year's card featuring next year's rabbit. If you make it yourself, it won't send a wrong idea since New Year's doesn't have much of a romantic feeling to it. Or if you see any Hallmark xmas cards with rabbits on them....? Look up "Oshogatsu" for more cultural notes.
by UreshiiMiko (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2010/12/7 16:40
Thank you very much for your opinions!

Well, he came here for 3 weeks to work on his thesis and my friend was asked to help him around and she asked me to help her, because I knew a little about his major thanks to my parents' work. So I met with him twice a week, helped him with searching for materials and so. He treated me very nicely, which I thought was because he was glad someone was helping him, but since we somehow ended up e-mailing each other every day since he left, I suppose it maybe wasn't the only reason. He's supposed to come again next year, so I guess that's when I'll see.
As for my feelings, I think that if he asked me out I'd happily accept, but I'm not really the type to hit on a guy. Plus I'm still not sure if I'm not getting the wrong idea here.
by Mary (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread