Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

New Year Celebration in Tokyo 2010/12/15 00:31
Hi,

I'd like to know where is the best place to go for New Year's Eve Celebration in Tokyo?
What do the locals usually do?

Initially, I thought of having a dinner and countdown at Park Hyatt's NY Grill with my gal. But their window tables are all reserved and I don't see it fit to spend close to 100,000 for a free standing table. (Their New Year's 6 courses menu is 42,000/pax)

I'm looking for somewhere really happening or romantic. I read online somewhere that someone suggested to go to Disneyland but we are planning to go there on Christmas Day itself.

Anywhere that has the best view for New Year's firework?
(I don't know if there is a firework show in Tokyo. This is my first New Year's celebration here.)

Also, if possible, I'd like to skip the whole visiting shrines/temples thing.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance!
by annabelle (guest)  

. 2010/12/15 12:17
Also, if possible, I'd like to skip the whole visiting shrines/temples thing.

It's what the locals do.

There's no fireworks show or anything on that scale, There are things and events happening at temples and shrines, if you aren't interested in it. Then party at some bar in Roppongi is essentially your only other option.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

local shrines/temples and first sunrise 2010/12/15 12:26
annabelle,

Similar questions have been posted from time to time, so you might find better answers by doing a search, but it depends on what you find "romantic" and how fit you are.

First of all, fireworks aren't common on New Year's eve. Typically, people visit shrines and temples for worship. And therefore, vendors would be out selling attractions and warm food for the worshippers. That is the most reasonable way to spend your night out on New Year's Eve, as you don't need any reservations and no money except for the few hundred yen you might spend at the shrine/temple and transportation. Speaking of transportation, commuter trains usually run all night long throughout the country.

However, the famous shrines and temples such as Meiji-jingu or Sensoji would be just too crowded. You might want to ask around for a small neighborhood shrine/temple. They would be more peaceful, thus more romantic.

Many locals also wake up early (or stay up all night long) to view the first rising sun of the year.

New Year's Day to the Japanese is what Christmas is to the Europeans. It's more about being sacred than exciting. The exciting part comes on Christmas Eve here.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Sorry 2010/12/15 12:28
"Also, if possible, I'd like to skip the whole visiting shrines/temples thing."

I seemed to have missed that part. Sorry.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

typical NYE 2010/12/15 14:03
What do the locals do?

They stay home with their families and watch TV, and/or they go to a shrine at midnight.

Some young people will go clubbing, but that pretty much covers the typical Japanese New Year's Eve.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread