Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

16th birthdays 2010/12/29 14:49
Im going over to japan and will be homestaying with a family while im over their it will be my 16th birthday and i would like to know how they celerbrate birthdays over in japan
thank you
by Laura (guest)  

My family and relatives 2010/12/29 15:34
Perhaps it may be a little toned down but I celebrated a birthday in Japan (when I was a younger teenager) by going out with my family to a nice sushi restaurant and then coming home to enjoy some cake.

I may be wrong but just note that 16th birthday isn't a big deal in Japan. (Unlike in the US)
by Bean (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/12/29 19:04
It differs widely on the person/family/generations. Some, especially among older generations don't do anything. At the other extreme you have people celebrating in the "Western style" with cakes, parties and presents. It is rather difficult to generalize.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Girls and B'days 2010/12/30 00:49
Laura,

Even in Japan, females tend to celebrate birthdays more than males, and girls tend to celebrate them more than women, so don't worry too much about it. But like the other poster have said, the 16th birthday is not a big deal at all in Japan. It's treated just like every other teenage birthday. A cake, candles, maybe presents and a simple feast. So what you should do is to tell your host family and friends in advance that it IS a big deal!
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/12/30 00:54
I agree with all the above posters. Just don't expect ''sweet 16'' thing, or it will be a disappointment.
by Ikuyo Kuruyo (guest) rate this post as useful

Please allow an other question. 2010/12/30 02:25
Sorry to all here I can not help with an answer to he original post, but I have an
other question. Someone wrote "it`s not a big
thing (16th. birthday) in Japan like in the USA.
I`m from Europe and may do not understand but
would like to "get" the cultural difference.
What is special with a 16th. birthday ???

I serious would like to know it, so please give me an answer.
Thank you to all !

To the original poster, please have a nice birthday anyway !!!
by tom (guest) rate this post as useful

16 2010/12/30 08:04
in the usa/canada 16 aka sweet 16 is often the first entrance into adulthood. whereas in japan teens are considered children until they're 20, in the usa teens are often considered fledgling adults when they turn 16.

you are able to obtain a full driver's license at the age of 16 in most areas, as well as start working. you're also free to stop attending school by law in most areas though that's of course not a good thing. it's also the legal age for marriage in most places in the usa/canada.

it's a big deal but 18 is a little bit of a bigger deal, more freedoms/rights.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

clarification 2010/12/30 19:04
Tom,

To clarify, in Japan you can start obtaining a motorcycle driving license at 16, and females can start getting married at 16 with the legal approval of her parents. You can also start working full-time once you've graduated junior high school, typically at age 15. So 16 is indeed considered as one of the very first steps to being an adult in Japan.

But it's just that we don't celebrate it like it is a really big deal. The big celebrations in Japan are done mainly on your 20th birthday and 60th birthday as well as during the ages when you are very young enough to appreciate funny hats and grandmother's presents. That's just how it is here.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

To Uco and Winterwolf 2011/1/1 04:10
Thank you for your answers !
Now I have a better overlook and think
I "got" it !

To all of you .. Happy new year !!!
by tom (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread