Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Wear respirator mask in public in Japan? 2011/1/5 14:41
I see people wearing paper masks in Japan all the time, but I was wondering how people would feel if I were to wear a heavy duty half-face respirator with cartridges on the street? I believe this will definitely filter out all the pollen in the air during springtime, but I'm worried about causing public alarm.
by Miwashi (guest)  

ummm...respirator mask? 2011/1/5 16:38

I know my head would turn if I see people wearing what you mentioned but I'll quickly realize that it's for good cause. Go ahed and try. Let me know if it works to filter out pollens. You may start a rave!
Most Japanese may see it as being too industrialized looking. I have feeling they prefer softer kind like they always use, the kind it wraps around their face without being hard on the skin nor irritating them. Japanese wear those white masks when they have colds so they don't have to worry about sneezing on people, to keep cough under mask and not expose their stuffy nose. Also there are those white masks with filters built in them or can be added onto which are disposable or washable. They do have masks for allergy relief.
by umiumi (guest) rate this post as useful

Mask 2011/1/6 07:54
Have you ever worn one of these masks? they are heavy and make breathing harder. I wore one at work a couple of times, when spraying stuff, and 30-40 minutes was more than enough...
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

armor mask 2011/1/6 07:58
yea, it won't fit in the purse or pocket. plus Scares people off.
by cc (guest) rate this post as useful

masks 2011/1/6 08:29
Even though masks are common here as you know, I think Japanese people's reactions to that kind of mask would be the same as people's in any other country, i.e. why is that weird person wearing a gas mask?

I agree with Monkey See- it is actually probably easier to breathe with hayfever than for any length of time through a respirator mask- I'd only use one for poisonous gas. Just for hayfever, no matter how bad, it isn't worth it.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Masks 2011/1/7 21:59
Japanese people wear a mask for one of the following reasons: 1) to avoid spreading your viurs-infested saliva when you are coughing, 2) to avoid contact with pollen if you are allergic, and 3) to avoid getting infected with viruses others are spreading by coughing. In addition, some may wear a mask to hide their face for whatever reason but this is not discussed here. Ordinary masks are fine for the purposes (1) and (2). You may need a gas mask for the purpose (3), but flu vaccination and such are more reasonable strategies for that.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

bad idea 2011/1/7 23:26
don't do it man. A surgical mask will do, i know, i have really bad allergy problems too but a combination of meds and a mask help me survive. If you wear the respirator mask you might cause a panic, and very sure the cops will stop you. Japan is about blending in, not standing out in crowds.
by El Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

hah 2011/1/8 21:07
totally bizarre.

if you have big problems with hey fever there are special kinds of surgical masks that have built in carbon filters in them as well as special tight fitting seals around the edge of the mask so that nothing gets inside. take a look on the internet.

wearing a full face mask is gonna induce a lot of funny behavior, videotape it if you do it!
by winterwolf (guest) rate this post as useful

mask 2011/3/15 12:13
I have a trip planned to Tokyo in May and now I'm really scared. With the current situation can I wear a half-mask respirator with cartrdiges on the streets of Tokyo? I'm really worried about paper masks being useless against radionuclides.
by Miwashi (guest) rate this post as useful

Gas mask? S&M? 2011/3/15 12:27
Miwashi,

With the current situation can I wear a half-mask respirator with cartrdiges on the streets of Tokyo?

Yes, you can. You can also wear a full bio-chemical protection suit, but there is a high probability that you would be photographed or videoed by other passersby in Tokyo and have your images uploaded to blogs and YouTube. I also would be interested in getting photos of you walking the streets of Tokyo in your weird get-up, so please publish more detailed dates/locations nearer the time.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2011/3/15 17:49
Of course, you can wear whatever you like, but you will look pretty silly, and if you are that scared, wouldn't you be better off cancelling or postponing your trip?
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

haha! 2011/3/15 18:39
Just reading this and imagining the look was enough to make me laugh! But seriously, there isn't a concern about radiation in Tokyo at the moment so don't think you need a chemical mask or suit for your trip! For pollen a normal "surgical style" mask will do.
by Mr. T (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/3/16 15:43
I have seen a few men wearing weird looking black half masks on trains for the last few years. But these days anything is acceptable. People would think you may be over protective but it is your choice.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread