Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Future career opportunities 2011/1/21 11:50
Hi guys. I don't know if this topic has been brought up or not but I didn't see any so maybe a new one will be easier for other people to find.
I am currently 18, almost 19 years old. That means I have A LOT of time ahead of me to prepare for careers etc. I am currently enrolled in college which after researching the job section seems absolutely useless since 90% of the jobs require a Bachelors Degree.
It has ALWAYS (I literally mean, always, ever since I started thinking about careers) been my dream to live and work in Japan. With the type of person I am, I don't care what work I do as long as it pays (within obvious reason, not dealing drugs or bad stuff like that.) I don't particularly care about being rich I just want an average lifestyle.
Anyway what I am truly here to ask is if anyone knows what possible career opportunities will open up within the next 10 years or so. What I should do to get there and etc...
I am currently in a business program and speak English as a native level (my entire life) I noticed a few HR positions here and there and I thought that would be a good position for me. I noticed it requires a Bachelors Degree which will take a while, but in that time I can also attend Japanese Language classes and learn a basic level of the language which is another requirement. I thought about teaching English as well but it seems not a lot of people will give you a chance if you don't already live within Japan. Any replies would be helpful, thanks :)
by JonnyMac  

. 2011/1/21 18:40
JonnyMac,

I'm not sure what your question is. You say that what you're truly want to know is about "what possible career opportunities will open up within the next 10 years or so," but since you say you "don't care what work you do as long as it pays," then all I have to say is that you can do anything from dish-washing to teaching your native language. You are also free to look for exchange student programs or homestay opportunities if you want to live in Japan.

Either way, I'm sure it would help other posters if you at least tell us what country you are in/from and what skills you have. For example, if you were a currently 18, almost 19 year old Japanese in Japan, you don't really have "A LOT of time ahead" of you to prepare for careers etc. But you do have your whole life ahead of you.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Hahaha 2011/1/22 05:20
Oh my goodness yeah I feel like an idiot. I live in Canada and always have. I have always spoken english but I am all for paying the money to learn japanese over the amount of needed years that I have to devote. I know Marketing is big in Japan but every company has HR departments. I can currently go to either one. I know after going to university I will be eligeble to be an english teacher but I don't want that to be the main thing I am going to school for since it is a very competitive job (Though I would enjoy doing that) I noticed lots of companies looking for employees that are native to english and have level 1 (seldom level 2) of the JLPT. Because I am in college it will take a long time to finish my education since University follows. I suppose what I am getting at is that it is my dream to work and live in Japan. I am simply looking for opinions to see if there is anything else other than university and language classes that I should be looking at? Am I on the right path? Is this career something that will most likely be available in the next 10 years?
by JonnyMac rate this post as useful

Skip college 2011/1/22 05:56
Skip college and attend university. Save yourself a few years. Unless you are in college because you don't have the prerequisites for university. In that case, after a year of college and getting good grades start talking to university admissions departments and see about getting admitted.
by snooch (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks 2011/1/22 06:00
Hey Snooch, saw you post on other forums, I appreciate your advice. Unfortunately I slacked off in High School a lot so now I have to get into University a bit late.
by JonnyMac rate this post as useful

reply to this thread