Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Studying a year in Japan, advice? 2011/1/24 05:48
Hello there, I'm a 16 year old girl, and in my final year. That means I'll have to decide what I want to study next year. I chose to take a gap year, and study abroad in Japan.
Here comes my question: What do I need to know about Japan if I want to study there? Do you recommend a place to study? Is knowing the language necessary?
I know a little bit of formalities, like bowing in stead of shaking hands, taking off your shoes when you enter a house and use honorifics like -san and -kun.

I hope you will give me some advice.

Kind regards,

Anne
by Anne (guest)  

... 2011/1/24 10:56
Your question is way too vague to expect a reasonable answer.

It honestly sounds like you know way too little about Japan at this point to ask more specific questions.

You probably should first start by spending some time reading the "Living" section of this site, and search Google for "Living in Japan" or "Studying in Japan".

Spend a few weeks reading/researching.

by kyototrans rate this post as useful

High school? 2011/1/24 14:13
Are you still in high school? I am not sure if there is any high school that teaches in english.
by Afulili (guest) rate this post as useful

gap year 2011/1/24 15:08
Although not common, there are high schools, especially private international schools, that teach their entire curriculum in English.

I gather that during your gap year you will be 17 years old and a high school graduate? If thats the case then it sounds like you first have to decide where you want to study (high school, university, language school) and then look into your options from there. Each require different preparation and it is best to get started as soon as possible to meet all the various deadlines (application, visa application, etc.). Also, you can expect to have limited options if you don't yet speak Japanese (except of course if you intend to go to a language school).
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread