Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How many grams in a ramen cup? 2011/1/26 19:23
2 months and i'll be in tokyo. I was wondering how many grams are there for 1 portion of ramen eaten in a normal ramenya (i know that place like Jiro are exagerate). Today i ate a portion of ramyun dried noodle, it was a pack of 120 grams,dried,wich became something like 200 gr cooked, i think.And i was satisfied and full, i don't think i would be able to eat a bigger portion of ramen...so, someboy know generally how many grams (or OZ) are there in a typical portion of ramen in tokyo?
by japanstudent (guest)  

. 2011/1/27 12:15
In terms of grams, it's about the same anywhere. But if you're talking about being full, it has more to do with the quality rather than the quantity.

For example, there are ramen with thin soup, less fat and less toppings, while there are ramen with rich soup, loads of lard and lots of meat toppings and sometimes lots of vegetable toppings. There are even fat noodles and thin noodles.

Consumers choose shops, menus and recipes depending n the preferences. If you're not a bigg eater, when going to ramen bars, why not stick to what we call a "kyo-fu ramen (Kyoto-style ramen)" in which the ramen is almost as light as soba. And when shopping to make your own, you should ask for "assari" soup, meaning "light, thin soup."
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/1/27 22:56
no one knows the medium amount of noodle in gr or oz?
by japanstudent (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/1/28 00:42
japanstudent,

I thought I answered that question. There's no fixed amount. Some brands are 114 including other contents, some are 120 for just the fresh bundle of noodles and they're all about the amount you mentioned. But that has little to do with the fullness it provides.

Watch Tanpopo 2011/1/28 02:13
It is a strange question. Most people would stop eating when satisfied & full after enjoying the taste. Are you taking a scale with you? It is not enjoying food.
When ordering, order an ordinary portion, not over sized or addtional kaedama, noodle only second.
You need to watch "Tanpopo" on YouTube to learn how to eat/appreciate ramen before you try.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

size 2011/1/28 06:21
Japan use the metric system by the way as do most countries outside North America.
1 oz in weight = about 30 gr
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

"mini size"? 2011/1/28 12:10
japanstudent,

It's me again. Perhaps what you're looking for are "mini" portions.

While most ramen weigh something between 80g dry to 300g prepared, you can often find portions half the brand's ordinary size, be it instant ramen at shops or prepared ramen at restaurants. Ask for "mini size."

ramen 2011/1/28 13:02
And i was satisfied and full, i don't think i would be able to eat a bigger portion of ramen

As mentioned,portions vary depending on the ramenya, but they tend to be about around the same volume. The reasonable thing to do would be to stop eating once you are full, as there is nothing wrong with leaving food on your plate (or in your bowl in this case).

Also, if your intention is to save money, note that mini or half sized portions are rarely half the cost of a regular size portion.

Or do you have another reason for asking, like are you on a diet or trying to measure your calorie intake?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

. 2011/1/28 17:38
i'm not challenging or in a diet. I'm a female 50kg weight, so i just thought that i can't eat a whole ramen portion if it's too big and that it would be rude to don't eat it. i also think that it's a waste , and i hate wasting food. I'd prefer to tell to the tenin to put less amount in my portion in order to don't waste..

ramen 2011/1/28 18:38
I see, in that case, as Uco mentioned, some places may have smaller portions (either half, mini, side, or kids sizes) that you could order. Or if those aren't on the menu then it wouldn't be impolite to order the regular size and leave whatever you can't finish in the bowl.

Also, I'm not sure if you would be able to special order smaller portions at most ramenya (other then whats offered on the menu) as they usually divide their noodles into portions ahead of time (they often come from the noodle factory in single serving sealed bags). You can always ask though.

Anyway, once you find a ramenya that you like and become familiar with their menu, I'm sure you'll find the dishes that perfectly satisfy your hunger.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

You will loose weight in Japan 2011/1/29 01:49
One thing you might not know is that most tourists loose weight traveling in Japan as you walk so much everyday, up & down stairs, long paths, etc. unlike in US where you drive sitting all the time.
And a lot of foods are low calorie, rice, udon, soba, basic ramen, etc. so you needn't worry. Eat as much as you want and you'll still get hungry in a short time.
Bring a good pair of worn in walking shoes.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/2/1 18:33
so.. is it possible to take a baby menu even if i'm not a baby at all?
i'20 but everyone tell me that i look like 15 (no one belive me when i take something to drink in a bar or open a bank account..)
so maybe i won't look strange..
i saw that places like sukiya, mc donald's, kfc ect have special menu for baby, and looking the calories, they're exacly what i'm looking for (many menus at these place have something like 1000 calories, with are too much for me)..

eating 2011/2/1 21:34
You're no smaller than the average Japanese woman. Whether you can get the child's menu depends on the restaurant- at McDonald's you can order what you like, but at many restaurants only children (as in 12 and under) will be served the child's menu. There's no such thing as a "baby menu" that I've ever come across.

Can I ask what you do in your home country when you eat out? Eating out here isn't really any different here than it is anywhere else. I get full easily and don't think I have ever been able to get through a full bowl of restaurant ramen, but it's not something I've spent a lot of my life worrying about. If I can't eat all of a meal, I don't, whichever country I'm in.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

find at Yahoo jp's forum 2011/2/2 23:31
At the forum, a noodle company menber answered as below.

normal 150g
custom order 180g

http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1314326988
by walkabout (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/2/3 12:52
japanstudent,

As I've suggested before, as far as ramen is concerned, you will see more "mini size" for adults than normal kids' size menus. As Sira mentioned, I'm interested in what you do in your home country. Not many people in Japan eat ramen on a daily basis anyway, so I'm wondering why you are so concered about ramen.

. 2011/2/3 18:52
because it's my favourite japanese food (i love all kind of noodle and pasta).
and i've already written that i don't like wasting , that's why i'm so concerned about mini size.
Thank you all!

reply to this thread