Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to clean tatami? 2011/2/5 15:13
Can anyone advise me how to clean tatami mats as part of regular housework cleaning (i.e. something fairly quick and easy to use)? I bought some small wipes recently, which are ok but will take forever for whole rooms.

Also, would the same cleaning product deal with any bugs or whatever that might be dormant and about to surface as warm weather approaches?

Could you please post links or give the Japanese product names as written on packets/boxes etc., so I can be sure to get the right thing.
by Jan (guest)  

dani 2011/2/6 09:02
Most of problems may be to eliminate "Dani", ticks. Ask for "dani taiji supure-", a spray for tick elimination.
Here is a spray product example:
http://www.monotaro.com/sc/1a/35704-アレルシャットスプレー.html
It doesn't have any pesticide but mainly water & alcohol. Spray & wipe off the surface not only tatami but also carpet, rug, futon, pillow cases, stuffed animals, etc., etc. It is also good for mold elimination.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

soujiki 2011/2/6 13:33
Jan,

"As part of regular housework cleaning" most people just use the vacume machine. Be sure to move along the straws, not against them. By vacuming, say once a week, you will be able to avoid any ugly bugs that might disturb you.

If this doesn't solve your problem, I'm afraid you need to consult with a mite exterminator or your landlord. By the way, a lot of Japanese vacume machines also have "tatami mode" or the like.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

tatami 2011/2/6 15:03
i'm interested too in this question!
last night,my 3 years old son vomited on the tatami ,i tried to clean this morning wiping but the smell still remains as well as som sticky things(i'm sorry if i look rude,but i want you to know how much it's bad the situation!)
i live in a rent apartment so..what should i do?
wich products should i use?
by lorisa (guest) rate this post as useful

vomit on tatami. 2011/2/6 15:28
last night? um, you didnt know he did that? or why would you wait until morning to clean it? when you drop beverages or anything else on the tatami, you need to clean it immediately or the tatami color becomes darker. and it can ruin tatami. i moved into my apartment in septemever and my baby was crawling around all the time, baby drool, or throwing up milk, and always getting into something, knowcking my beverages off the table or putting spaghetti on the floor. now i keep her contained in the playpen all day.

this was brand new tatami when i moved in, and i have 2 years to go, so I want to keep in as good condition as possible. for the most post it still looks new. I definitely dont take my eyes off her for even 10 seconds anymore if she will be out paying on the tatami.

I wanted tatami because its softer than hard wood and carpet. she never crys when she falls down and hit her head while learning to stand and walk.

usually you dont need anything special to clean off vomit and beverage. a dry cloth will do. but maybe there is something special to help in your case. hopefully it wont end up in bad condition. the worse that can happen is just they take security deposit and replace it.
by tee (guest) rate this post as useful

tatami ne 2011/2/6 16:09
That stuff can get pretty gross....and it's expensive to replace. The tatami at the dorm I lived in (it was in a common room) smelled horrible during summer and had these small bugs living in it (not ticks) we have them in America too...small brown crunchy bugs. Vacuuming only does so much unfortunately...
by Chiisa na Koi no Uta rate this post as useful

reply to this thread