Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

13th floor apartment 2011/2/8 00:21
Hello everyone,
I have just moved into 13th floor apartment in Sumida-ku and I know from my friends that usually there is no 4th and 13th fl in japan but this building has all the numbers from 1st all the way up to 14th floor.
I dont feel anything since moving here except hearing knocking/bumping/sound of 1-2 people walking around/occasionally dragging chairs after 1am onwards.

I would like to know what is your view of 13th floor apartment in japan?
by mochisakura  

?? 2011/2/8 09:57
I think your friends are mistaken- I have never come across a building with no 4th or 13th floor in Japan, although I did stay at a hotel with no 4th floor in Korea once. Until 2 years ago I lived on the 4th floor of a new building in Tokyo- it didn't seem to bother my husband or any of the other Japanese tenants who lived on that floor.

Really, the numbers 4 and 13 are just numbers, and don't have any influence on anything that happens when living on a particular floor, and I think most Japanese people would agree. If you are superstitious enough about the number 13 that it bothers you then you might want to consider moving, but I don't think it's worth worrying about.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

13th floor 2011/2/8 10:32
I too have yet to come across a building in Japan that skipped the 4th or 13th floors, but I hear that some of the older hotels that catered to western tourists omitted the 13th floor.

I would like to know what is your view of 13th floor apartment in japan?

I think to most people in Japan the 13th floor apartments are known as the ones that lie directly above the 12th floor and often (but not always) sits below a 14th floor ;)

Now apartment number 964, that's a number that might make the more superstitious in Japan raise an eyebrow.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

. 2011/2/8 11:50
In some hospitals and hotels, they skip 4 for room numbers (because the pronunciation for 4 is the same as that for Ž€ meaning "death"), but for the floors, I've never heard of it. There's always 4th floors.

And you should realize 13 is not really a unlucky number in Japan. The idea came from western culture.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/2/8 15:29
13 is not an unlucky number in Japan.

by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

so desune ... 2011/2/8 17:53
hahaaa thanks everyone for your comments/views. all of your comments are very true! "yllwsmrf" u really are hilarious..

fortunately i'm not really into this kinda believe but due to what i heard from people (mostly gaijin-asians) thought i'd like to hear what others think ;)
by mochisakura rate this post as useful

13 2011/2/11 05:50
I heard about buildings in North America that don't have a 13th floor but the fact is, no matter what number you give to that floor, it still IS the 13th floor..

In some European countries the ground floor is called just that. The floor above is the 1st and so on..
so the 12th floor is actually the 13th floor but nobody think about it that way..

13 being an unlucky number comes from Judas being the 13th guy in the band of Jesus and his buddies...he betrayed Jesus and therefore 13 became a number that brought back luck...
If you really think about it, it was the #1, Jesus, that got all the bad luck!
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2011/2/12 18:05
I have stayed at hotels in Japan without a 4th and/or 13th floor! Especially Western hotel chains might skip the 13th floor. But sometimes even Japanese hotels do so (just like some of them provide a Bible on the room without cultural precedent).

The other day I stayed in hotel room 443 and rented a car with the license number 4445, and I was rather shocked about it. No accident happened, though.
by Uji rate this post as useful

numbers 2011/2/13 15:57
Uji, the 3 and the 5 likely protected you...wonder if there are hotels that have a room # 666 (in Las Vegas perhaps?)
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/2/14 00:48
3 and 5 protected him? lol. come on... i think bad stuff only happen to people who believe in the superstition. bad stuff never happen on friday the 13th in japan, but it does happen in america?? and nothing bad ever happens in america about number 4 and 9 or whatever the numbers are.. i dont believe in any of this crap. i will walk under ladders and sweep my feet with brooms without spitting on them and dont care about black cats crossing my path. nothing has ever happened to me. yet people around me swear by the superstitions. i think its time for them to die out. please dont teach it to your kids. lol. there is nothing to be afraid of.
by non believer. (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/2/14 00:52
Monkey see,

I would rather be happy to stay at a hotel room 666:) Where is Eddy?
by Ikuyo Kuruyo (guest) rate this post as useful

friday the 13th 2011/2/16 21:03
Many Christians have long believed that Friday was unlucky because it was the day of the week when Jesus was crucified. The number 13 was believed to bring bad luck because there were 13 people at The Last Supper. Since there were 12 tribes of Israel, that number was considered lucky.
by ashley1 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread